100 years of bridesmaid dresses

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/20/100-years-of-bridesmaid-dresse.html

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that things that reference the 80’s never quite seem to capture just how ugly the clothes were. The giant hair bow is a nice touch, though. I wore a lot of those.

10 Likes

Yeah, they dressed a beautiful model and she couldn’t even pull it off…

2 Likes

All of the clothes we wore in the 80s were ugly as sin. It didn’t matter the occasion. I have no idea what we were thinking.

1 Like

4 Likes

It’s interesting to see that the 60s and 70s were more covered up than the 40s and 50s (at the neckline). I’m still trying to figure out why there’s a sudden backlash against seeing shoulders in fashion today.

1 Like

These videos which purport to showcase decades of representative fashions never make any disclaimer about how Eurocentric they are. The same can be said of “pop culture” generally, how music, movies, etc where the anglosphere always seems to have disproportional representation. “Popular”, indeed… Are these what bridesmaids were wearing in Oaxaca in the 1900s, Cameroon in the 1910s, and Bihar in the 1920s? And why do so few call them out on this tendency?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.