11'8"+8" Bridge Eats Camper RV

4 Likes

They should lower the bridge and add a water feature to warn the trains. Each of the intelligent people clipping their vehicles made a well informed, conscious decision to do so, but they could have used nonrigid vehicles to maximize the damage. I once rented a subcompact and clipped a much taller bridge! Each collision should be celebrated with a laser light show, during which all the traffic lights should turn green. The illuminated sign should only light up to tell people that they’re under height, and then it should be eliminated. Clearly, implementing these changes is the UN’s responsibility.

5 Likes

Are we seriously bringing this up again? The last topic got closed because people couldnt be civil.

4 Likes

Hard to run a red light later than that. If they had slowed down just a little bit, the light would have cycled green again.

2 Likes

Feel free to add your insight here.

By the way, you may have bingo.

1 Like

WHO DARES SUMMON ME FROM MY SLUMBER?

[EDIT: Thanks to @dfaris for letting me know about the dark theme display issue.]

5 Likes

ALSO, a fellow local tells me there was yet another crash on the 29th. The bridge is hungry!

3 Likes

People were more cautious right after the bridge was raised, but now they are complacent once again.

Also, I love how you can hear Mr. Hemi’s motor growling throughout the entire video and how it plays a little song of doom as he floors it to run the light.

At least he cleaned up his own mess.

1 Like

Its posted now

3 Likes

A fellow 11’8"+8" YT subscriber, cheers. :monkey: :potato:

Got to love the drivers at any of these accidents that wish to turn right and go under the bridge till the carnage, rethink and drive away.

1 Like

As someone who lives near Durham:
I wonder how many of these we miss. The entirety of downtown is surrounded by these bridges more or less but afaik the guy only has cameras on the one.

1 Like

The one over on Roxboro (which I think is just 11’0") gets its share but I don’t think it’s nearly at the rate of this one. The 9th St. one isn’t really high-enough traffic. There is occasionally a high profile truck wedging incident over on Chapel Hill St but I think it’s still not as frequent – the clearance is (or at least was) higher than Gregson too.

I think Gregson has a unique combination of high-traffic route, not a lot of great alternate routes, and proximity to the 147 ramp to make it noteworthy. (In particular, observe that if you’re heading up Roxboro to go to 147 you exit before the overpass.)

To be sure, we do see a lot more crashes here because we’re looking.

3 Likes

Oh, this is very helpful information! Thanks; will fix for future versions.

1 Like

The hat throw at the end was a lovely touch.

2 Likes

Mostly I was thinking of uhh…duke st I think it is? Right off 147 too and it’s not far until the overpass, which is the same height and doesn’t have any of the signage. That’s the way I usually get downtown yet I don’t normally see any debris.

1 Like

Ah yeah, that’s the Chapel Hill St. one. You know, I think that long-haul drivers have internalized highway signage for truck detours in a way that maybe doesn’t happen with city roads. Someone coming along 147 either way to head downtown will probably get off on Jackie Robinson or Swift based on “truck route” signage, and dodge that issue altogether. That said, there are definitely some truck wedgings there. The clearance there is a little higher and it completely shuts down Chapel Hill St in one direction, so I think it’s both a bit rarer and a bigger deal.

In fact, there’s one video on the 11’8" channel of a truck that hits the canopener, and then a couple hours later hits the bridge you’re talking about.

2 Likes

There was a good crunch to that one too :joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.