14-year-old girl who was called a "whore" for her pro-Choice sign expresses disappointment in adult world

[Permalink]

1 Like

Jesus may not be a dick, but his followers sure are.

Ossia: Jesus may not be a dick, but Christ, what assholes.

2 Likes

I would not consider such people to be adults.

1 Like

I’d consider them adults, but developmentally delayed and cognitively ill-prepared for honest dealing. They call her a whore because, really, they haven’t thought completely through the issue or their response, so their immature knee-jerk response is to toss out an easy insult that doesn’t even fit.

I got in trouble in second grade for calling my friend Tim a bitch. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was mad at him for taking the dodgeball we were playing with and throwing it across the pavement. Our teacher was standing right there. I was mad and the first thing that popped into my head was to call him a bitch, so I said it, and had to spend a few more recesses inside not only for saying it, but for being dumb enough to blurt it out right in front of the teacher.

These debates about serious issues are also on that same level.

They might as well call her a fag or something else nonsequitur. None of it makes sense, because none of it from them has been completely thought through.

I’d go a step further, and posit that the people throwing around such insults have never given anything any real thought. And I don’t think I’m being hyperbolic or unfair in saying that.

You were right. I am a bitch, and I have not forgotten . . .

1 Like

Someone should explain to our heroine that free speech means adults get to say what they want and, hence, reveal their true selves for the world to see and judge. If someone is busy demonstrating they are an ass it doesn’t mean the system is broken, it means the system is working.

More power to the morons. They are digging a deep hole to stand into make their statement and it will be a long time before they are free of the consequences. Be content, in fact be secretly gratified (no reason to gloat) that you have flushed out the nit wits and revealed that the ‘science’ behind anti-choice sentiment is no more than unresolved self-hate.

Only a vocal minority. (At least, I hope they’re a minority.) Some of us remember that Christ spent a lot of time hanging out with whores being rather polite rather than holier-than-thou.

1 Like

We don’t know if he was polite around those people.He may have preferred their company because they weren’t throwing crap at him and calling it holy.

I’m struggling to think of a recent sign more provocative than this. Kudos to this girl for not only coming up with it, but being bold enough to protest with it.

The vilest, cruelest abuse

Stoning? Waterboarding? Kneecapping? The rack?

Agreed. And someone who loves her should explain exactly why it was so good, why it had the effect it did, ie. rage. It is predictable one might get that kind of reaction. She did great. She is owed an explanation of each step of her greatness so she can feel good about it. Otherwise it’s very damaging.

1 Like

I wonder why the link to this thread on the OP is broken? Is it something one of us said?

1 Like

honey, the adult world IS disappointing. you learn to live with it, but the feeling never really goes away.

The supreme irony here, is that Jesus himself hung around with whores, finding them to be better people than the self-righteous.

Awesome young lady there, though her sign might be considered to be just wee bit over-the-top. Hilarious.

2 Likes

Good, we need to have our death-match dodgeball showdown once and for all!

Calling her a whore commands her to be so ashamed of her nascent sexuality that she shuts up. It is no random non-sequitur, but a rhetorical tactic that usually works. They used it on Wendy Davis, too. Thank God it’s working less every year.

I think it’s quite indicative of the moral state of the US society that she needs to explain/defend herself by telling everyone about her sexual activity (or lack thereof).

I often get the impression that culture/morals in the US got stuck in the 18th century - heroisation of violence (guns, military, stand your ground, death penalty etc.) and demonisation of sexuality. The US advanced technologically but the morals and culture are those of the founding fathers.

Those adults don’t deserve to have children of their own, let alone judge an intelligent and courageous young woman.

That’s an interesting read. I like it. But the whore-calling feels knee-jerk and uncalculated, though. Like calling your best buddy a bitch off the cuff. It’s like, if you’re going to bother to calculate your response, just letting loose the whore comment isn’t a full paragraph. But then again, I calculate in paragraphs, and they might calculate in a single word.