15 unique illnesses you can only come down with in German

[Permalink]

1 Like

Amazing. The linked article managed to talk about the subject without a picture of a girl in a fetish costume and pigtails.

10 Likes

Glad I’m not German.

3 Likes

4 Likes

That’s absurd. The woman isn’t wearing a Dirndl. She is wearing a sexy Halloween costume.

6 Likes

Ah, you are suffering from, “frohnichtdeutschsein”

6 Likes

Google image search tells me that’s what all dirndls look like :smile:

5 Likes

No-no! I disagree! When you reeeeally think about, racist and fetishist are opposite ends of the spectrum. One’s totally repulsed and the other is super into it.
Groups of fetishists are generally supportive, where racists – especially in groups – not so much.
Furries good, Fuhrer bad.

8 Likes

No pigtails? Clearly they aren’t serious journalists.

7 Likes

Ostalgie (nostalgia for East Germany) is definitely a thing. East Germans I have known complain that while the West is much richer, the social cohesion is lacking. And some of them remember fondly an upbringing in the excellent East German education system, with summer camps and organised social activities. (There may also be a slight racist undertone - East Germany was very white, one of them told me the only non-white people he ever met had been Cubans.) One thing about the omnipresent Stasi was that people united against it though an engineer I knew reckoned that if you did your job well it was quite difficult to fall foul of them.
But it is definitely not an illness.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Then look at the magazine itself
http://issuu.com/dirndlmagazine/docs/dm-fs2012
You will find they are all over the knee skirts and not the sexed up costumes they sell around Halloween.

I have a hard time getting around the fact that the image posted is clearly a misogynistic fantasy. I suppose BoingBoing supports equality and the end to treating women as sexual objects unless they happen to find a sexy picture tangentially related to a topic. Hey, there are two sides on every mouth. Why not speak out of both sides?

5 Likes

Why would you believe you can only get zeitkrankheit or weltschmerz if you are German? It’s manifestly evident these are pandemic in the United States. Just because a culture is ignorant or has neglected to name a malady doesn’t mean the malady is not very real indeed.

5 Likes

“Kreislaufzusammenbruch” -> “(circulatory) shock”; “Hörsturz” -> “conductive hearing loss”; “Zivilisationskrankheiten” -> “Diseases of affluence”. “Kevinismus” is AFAIK not a medical condition but a classist slur.

But surely ironically so.

The Kreislaufzusammenbruch one is just plain wrong. It is a popular term for a syncope. The author is probably thinking of Kreislaufstörung which an extremely vague popular term for issues that are more or less related to blood pressure and is often embellished into a distinct German culture-bound syndrome in anglophone sources.

The beauty of productive compositional morphology is that you can form words on the fly. While the word Ichschmerz is used very occasionally, you have to click past quite a few Google hits for this list until you find a real example.

2 Likes

Yeah, most of these are just colloquialisms rather than illnesses, but as you pointed out, Hörsturz is actually a real condition.

3 Likes

Happy now?

13 Likes

Of course. Objectifying people is fine if they are men… Oh wait, it’s still wrong.

Lederunterhosen!

Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hmm hmm…

Ausländerfreude?

4 Likes
1 Like