Germany's new COVID-19 spot is very clever and funny, stay-at-home couch potatoes are national heroes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/15/germanys-new-covid-19-spot-is-very-clever-and-funny-stay-at-home-couch-potatoes-are-national-heroes.html

15 Likes

With English subtitles. I heartily approve of every aspect of this PSA.

27 Likes

I have been training for this crisis for most of my life. Heros are not born, sometimes they are accidentally made by decades of video games…

26 Likes

FFS why wasn’t THIS vid used as the post?
Did that only run a minute? I thought it was waay longer.
Didn’t understand a word of the posted Vid.
Funny? The entire message was lost.
@xeni please sub in the right vid.

1 Like

Funny?? What do you mean by funny? That word is not in our vocabulary.

BTW: There’s also a second part:

22 Likes

Mitch Benn did this one for the UK back at the start of our first lockdown:

13 Likes

The closed captions and auto translate is actually excellent, so I don’t see the problem here.

12 Likes

Maybe it’s a regional issue? Mine only offers subs in German.

6 Likes

Maybe I’m just not used to YouTube, but the language selection wasn’t under cc button.
Instead it was under cog button (the settings button).
Of course maybe you’re already checking there and it’s just that I don’t use YouTube much.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who can’t play this video in Firefox? It says format unsupported.

1 Like

I was looking at the embed, not the YT app, but it still only shows German in the app for me.

1 Like

Are you by chance on mobile? I just checked on android and translations are not available :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah, I am. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

I am hopeful that Biden will hit the ground running, on the covid issue, and put together a solid federal response in the first 100 days.

And I would love to see a series of television PSAs to drive the point home. The sillier the better. This pool has had quite enough of “peeing sections” and “no peeing sections”. Its time for everyone to stop peeing in the pool.

5 Likes

Good on Germany.

And for USAians, here’s a more familiar reminder:

18 Likes

I’m using a PC and it must be a regional thing because I only get German text using Firefox or Chrome and the only translate setting is for German. Also, from time to time I get a video denied in your country message on other posted youtube vids. Interesting to see that the vid posted to Twitter works - I cannot tell where that one is originally hosted though.

1 Like
3 Likes

I love this spot and the message.

I’m also kind of conflicted about it because of “don’t mention the war”. I never really understand how today’s Germans think about WWII, and this spot’s reference to “old men remembering their moment of glory in war” feels just a little… icky.

Anyway, stay home.

4 Likes

That is very interesting because for me as a German this didn’t conjure up WW2 at all. I didn’t even think about it in those terms until I read your comment.

7 Likes

“What did you Germans do to fight the virus?” - “Well, actually, not that much…”