16,000 NYT readers share their stories of being told to 'go back'

I swear, these folks are gonna make me go all ‘Jennifer Holliday’ on 'em:

Stayin

12 Likes

There…FTFY

8 Likes

Yeah, as far as I can tell, I’m descended from ‘craptastic’ all the way around. I have ancestors that I know traded in slaves, and stole the land of other ancestors that I know willingly took part in the Huron genocide, and so on, round and round, one atrocity after another.

What can I do but try to behave better than they did, and try to convince those around me to do the same?

13 Likes

I hope someone points out that “these people” have done what Trump told them to do: to go “help fix…totally broken and crime infested places.” Specifically, the Trump White House.

15 Likes

Or the hypocrisy of Trump himself repeatedly talking about how terrible America is and/or how much it needs to be fixed.

In Trump’s last rally he made his issue pretty clear when he said that Omar (I think it was) didn’t like him and therefore she didn’t like America. He might as well have said, “Le state, c’est moi.” There’s no consistency in his messages because they’re all always about him.

16 Likes

Keep asking, over and over, until he answers.

28 Likes

Hence his petty jealousy over the warm homecoming reception that Minnesotans gave Congresswoman Omar upon her arrival back in the state.

That was organic and unprompted; the Carcinogenic Cantaloupe can only dream of being so genuinely revered.

19 Likes

I was about to say: how sad that any affection he receives is entirely synthetic and transactional. But I realized, that’s exactly how he chooses.

Oh no! He’s suffering the consequences of being a sociopath

13 Likes

I thought I was white, and all the timesthe cops stopped me as a teenager into my twenties, I never knew why. I’d be out on busy streets in daylight, but it would happen. i could only assume my long hair, but who knows. You figure you’re guilty of something, but don’t know what.

Same with going into stores and being watched. After a while, you probably act differently because you are being stopped and watched.

But I now know I probably count as Metis,though I stil have lots of privilege.

Identifying as Metis seems an obligation, to not leave the cousins.

When they found Tina Fontaine’s body in Winnipeg, I wondered how she could be treated in a place that had been Metis. My family wad orominent, streets and other things named after them, thiugh often hidden, no mention of my great, great, great grandmother, just her husband.

But I read the Winnipeg news, and more recent people to Canada are holding events withn native people. It’s a.nice acknowledgement, but sadly it’s also built on the shared experience of “go home”.

I have alwats been “liberal” but I am changing more, wanting the people told to go.home to feel welcome.
The cause may vary, but the same feeling applies to all.

3 Likes

“Be excellent to each other.”

2 Likes

The circumstance one is born into, isn’t often all good or all bad, but generally a mix.
Health, wealth, sanity, socio-economic class, access to healthcare, to education, to crime-free environment, lawful government by people for people, safety in family environment, peace (the period between the wars), standard gender, preferred sex, preferred skin-tone, liberty to sexually express and many more, are all aces one could be dealt.

The hand I was dealt really wasn’t great and I’ve had dramatically mixed results.

But I was born privileged in some very important respects.
I recognize that I’ve always held some aces.

Here’s one of them:
I was told to ‘go back’, to the country I fled as a juvenile, many times, mostly for having opinions.
I felt American (and somehow still do), but when after almost two decades, the US government too told me to ‘go back’, I did so “voluntarily” (to avoid more jail, deportation, lifelong re-entry ban).
(Undocumented aliens charged with a crime are treated as if convicted in immigration court, in my case even after the charges were dropped.)
So I’ve been ‘back’.

And the country I was born in is in most meaningful respects more ‘fixed’ and slightly less of a ‘shithole’ than the Great United States of America even wants to be anymore.

I’m fucking privileged too. I really am.

2 Likes

Be Best, Donald.

2 Likes

While „go back where you came from“ is a shitty thing to say to someone anywhere it requires a special kind of ignorance and stupidity to say it as an American.

15 Likes

16,000 NYT readers share their stories of being told to ‘go back’

… and in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty.

7 Likes

SSDD:

18 Likes

hey @onemadscientist

about that criticizing the USA…

Or should this guy ‘go back where he came from’ too?

28 Likes

I brought some extra flags. I think they’ll be needed.

20712695-hispanics-wave-american-flags-as-hundreds-of-thousands-of-immigrants-participate-in-march-for-immigr

(This threads gonna get a whole lot shorter)

8 Likes

I can only guess he’s trying to close the topic.

6 Likes

Man. “All sides” now. It’s like there’s a trolling flowchart or something.

9 Likes

Clean-up in aisle five please.

13 Likes