16 fake electors who signed certificates falsely claiming Trump won in 2020 election have been criminally charged with forgery

Originally published at: 16 fake electors who signed certificates falsely claiming Trump won in 2020 election have been criminally charged with forgery | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Michele Lundgren [said] she thought she was signing an attendance sheet for a meeting.

So, her defense is that she’s just too stupid to be holding any position of authority, not actually a criminal? Nice. But nope: you’re never too stupid to be a defendant.

42 Likes

ididntknow

26 Likes

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for anything to happen, we’ll see how this shakes out.

18 Likes

I’m surprised it’s taken this long for anything to happen

i think it is awesome! here they think they’re sitting pretty and then >BAM!< sure, i would prefer them to be locked up sooner, but what is a few months compared to 14+ years.

32 Likes

I’ve sure committed a lot of uttering, and a little bit of publishing, but never both at the same time.

14 Likes

Not to mention they lose their voting rights if convicted. HA HA!!

https://www.findlaw.com/voting/my-voting-guide/can-felons-vote-in-michigan-.html

16 Likes

All these people are facing the music, including Trump. They have fewer resources to fight their cases than him, but in all these cases the evidence against the defendants is overwhelming. So the obfuscating arguments about secret government cabals, antifa, bias, 1st amendment rights, etc, they have no play in court.

19 Likes

… of course, really he can only become President-Elect in 2024 :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

Lock 'em up! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

22 Likes

Everytime I see something like this I’m amazed all over again about how stupid the presidential electral system is in the US.

22 Likes

I thought it was a fantasy role playing game!

18 Likes

Each defendant has been charged with:

• One count of Conspiracy to Commit Forgery, a 14-year felony
• Two counts of Forgery, a 14-year felony
• One count of Conspiracy to Commit Uttering and Publishing, a 14-year felon
• One count of Uttering and Publishing, a 14-year felony
• One count of Conspiracy to Commit Election Law Forgery, a 5-year felony
• Two counts of Election Law Forgery, a 5-year felony

Very well deserved, and I hope it serves as a warning to anyone trying this shit in the future. Obviously no one involved took the situation very seriously, and they’re still not. “I thought it was an attendance sheet,” is not a serious defense.

The crowning irony, the beautiful cherry on top.

“You mean this isn’t ‘Elephants & Elections’?!”

27 Likes

She’s lying. They knew what they were doing, and anyone who says other wise is lying about it…

31 Likes

It’s refreshing to see fascists facing consequences for violating laws.

17 Likes

Ms Nessel brought up this case again b/c she felt the DOJ wasn’t moving quickly enough.
Interview w/Jocelyn Benson, Michigan’s Sec’y of State:

ETA: But Wait! There’s More!

Man, at least two of those schmucks sounded drunk AF.

17 Likes

I’d never heard of AG Dana Nessel before, and I try not to judge people by their physical appearance, but GAT DANG she carries herself like a warrior.

6 Likes

Me too.

It’s only slightly tangential to point out that Trump is suspected of criminal involvement in election fraud, the sedition of the Jan 6 attack, and has been formally accused of criminal handling of documents, yet none of these matters is likely to come to trial until after he may have been elected president again.

2 Likes

Something like fourteen years in federal prison for each of them sounds good to me. It would certainly have a very welcome chilling effect on similar stunts by other Republicans.

9 Likes

Oh, yeah, she’s a BAMF. All the women in charge of Michigan are BAMFs: Ms Benson, Ms Nessel, and esp our governor, Big Gretch. All have also rec’d death threats, and had psychotic ammosexuals outside their homes.

14 Likes