$16 Tokyo hotel deal: clean sheets, free coffee, and a stranger in your room

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/25/16-tokyo-hotel-deal-clean-sheets-free-coffee-and-a-stranger-in-your-room.html

2 Likes

Come for a good night’s sleep, stay for the historical revisionism.

11 Likes

I’ve mentioned to Mark (in a forum post on one of his other blogs) previously that APA is run by right-wing nutjobs, and that there are any number of similar or better business hotels (chains or otherwise) that aren’t.

3 Likes

I forgot about that. Very creepy.

1 Like

I didn’t know that, but I’m not particularly surprised. I stayed at an APA hotel last year and couldn’t help but notice that the images of the company president Fumiko Motoya are everywhere, like there’s some kind of cult of personality around her. Lo and behold she’s just Toshio’s wife and is the public face of the company, so it’s likely still Toshio pulling all the strings.

As a cheap travel hotel, it was alright, but not really any different than a dozen other similar hotel chains. My personal go-to is Candeo Hotel if there’s one in the area I’m going to be in, and second choice is probably Toyoko Inn: they’re very predictably consistent no matter where in the country you are.

3 Likes

It’s a hostel, not a hotel. Shared accomodation is kinda the main distinguishing feature of hostels.

5 Likes

I imagine sharing a room with a typical Japanese person would be more pleasant than sharing with several members of my own family

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.