What it is like to spend a night at the cheapest hotel in Manhattan?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/19/what-it-is-like-to-spend-a-nig.html

3 Likes

AOC-nope

New York city is a big place… one doesn’t have to stay in Manhattan to enjoy a visit there…

11 Likes

You get what you pay for. Taking a chance on one of these rooms is still likely to be vital to some desperate people in the NYC area but it seems very grim.

Oof. My wife and I lived with my now-monther-in-law’s apartment in Manhattan when we graduated college. We stayed in a $100/night Manhattan hotel after a particular heated argument with her mom. Stinky, dark, small, with bathroom down the hall. Somehow avoided the bedbug plague at that time, but the curse followed us and we eventually got them in the Bronx about 3 years later and had to move to finally be rid of them.

4 Likes

Nitpick: Title of article says Hotel, video refers to it as Hostel.

9 Likes

They have this thing…where trains run underground

15 Likes

OH! Sounds fancy! :smiley:

15 Likes

To be fair he could have gotten the mysterious/not-so-mysterious bites from elsewhere.

6 Likes

I’ve only passed through NYC once, and the night I spent was at JFK because my flight got cancelled. I don’t think I slept any better than he did.

His video was interesting, but it bugged me that he put up “12 pm” which would be noon. I’m strange.

5 Likes
4 Likes

To be fair, it might be scabies.

11 Likes

So last summer I stayed in the US Pacific Hotel, which is one block away on Bowery from where this guy stayed, and my room looked practically identical to his. It was a cool place though, I can happily recommend it. These kind of hotels are not unusual in Europe.

I did make sure to check the place thoroughly for bedbugs first though:)

2 Likes

"So I’m sitting here editing this video, two days later, and I’ve noticed that I have these red welts all over my arm and legs and they itch like crazy. Another one on my finger…"

Why didn’t he opt for the bug insurance, $1.99? Obviously it’s worth it.

2 Likes

I spent a week in this disgusting horrorshow a few years ago. Some of the weirdest nights of my life.

13 Likes

welcome comrade.

No no…you can’t come in and post that and walk away. Sit down a spell and tell us more!

26 Likes

Oh, buddy.

I used to stay at the Chelsea Hotel when I visited Manhattan.

2 Likes

I hope you burned your previous place down

1 Like

No, but we checked the Bedbug registry a year after we moved out, and the invasion had metastasized to all the surrounding apartments. We didn’t regret moving…and leaving all out furniture behind. It was time to move past our post-college-Ikea-bottom-rung phase anyhow…(of course our next phase was Pottery barn via craigslist, but we were very careful…)

2 Likes

Nope.

Not even once.

4 Likes

Below a certain level of cheapness, I think I’d prefer if there was no bedding and just an inflatable pool lounger to sleep on.

6 Likes