170 hostages reportedly taken in Mali hotel attack

[Read the post]

1 Like

Are they white hostages? I need to know whether or not to change my Facebook profile picture.

14 Likes

Yeah, seriously, it’s like I have to change my Facebook background pic to a different country’s flag everyday!

Wait, just had an idea! How about an app that detects tragedies in the news then auto changes your Facebook pic background to the flag of the country that has the highest death toll for that day!

8 Likes

Sadly, that really should be a thing.

3 Likes

And then you could sell it for 99 cents and a “portion” of the profits would benefit those who have suffered in the various tragedies! win-win-WIN!

You could call it CALM - cause all lives matter.

Anyhow, my consulting fee can be discussed later.

8 Likes

And we need a hashtag generator too. Especially if we want to achieve as lasting a result as #bringbackourgirls did.

2 Likes

Sick burn bro!

2 Likes
4 Likes

I almost posted this comment to my FB page but quickly thought better about it…but damn I was close!

1 Like

Yeah. I get (and like) the message/statement, but it seems easy for readers to take it the wrong way.

2 Likes

I was tempted to post it to FB too, but I don’t feel like starting a political argument with my aunts and cousins (and sister now, it looks like) over their FB profile pictures.

1 Like

CALM - the crowd sourced calamity conscience app written in a BoingBoing comments thread.

2 Likes

All lives matter?

Oh boy, seal the hatches, protests incoming!

There are two different “all lives matter” camps now. One is the one responding to “black lives matter”, the other is the one responding to “pray for Paris”. They don’t really have the same agendas, I don’t think.

I gotta tell you and Twitter – a :star: for this sort of post seems much more appropriate than a :heart:

2 Likes

Africa is in the “meh” empathy zone, no need to change your pic.

(source)

3 Likes

After months of trying, Mr. Abaaoud pulled off last week’s attacks — which, in turn, some supporters of Al Qaeda saw as something to be matched in fearsomeness and surpassed with what, in their view, was a more moral approach, taking care to limit the deaths of Muslim civilians.

The Mali gunmen weeded out Muslims by demanding that hostages recite verses from the Quran to be freed.

“Lions who carried out #MaliAttack separated Muslims from Christian in order2 protect the inviolable blood of Muslims,” one supporter wrote on Twitter.

Another — calling himself Abu Sufian al-Libi, or the Libyan, on a Twitter profile that suggested he was fighting in Syria with Al Qaeda’s Nusra Front affiliate — responded enthusiastically.

“This is how Muslims SHOULD act!” he wrote, adding that the Islamic State “should learn a thing or two and drop their crooked creed and methodology,” an apparent reference to the group’s willingness to include Muslims in its slaughter of civilians. Muslims account for a majority of the Islamic State’s victims in Iraq and Syria, and some of those killed in Paris last week.

yuck.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.