1980's Flash Gordon tee-shirt

Can’t even be bothered to have an accurate copy of the logo. Check out the top of the A in the product image vs. the one in the thumbnail of the included video.

3 Likes

if you have not seen/heard the guardian interview with brian blessed it’s worth a gander …gordans alive

1 Like

I love how it comes with a “Certificate of Authenticity”, so you know you’re getting a real fake rocket.

2 Likes

I wonder if a significant part of the 1500 bucks has to do with licensing. “Authentic” as in the design based on the studio’s actual production specs.

““In the beginning scene, all these people are bringing gifts, and one group brings these eggs. Sam Jones was saying, Flash Gordon was supposed to be a quarterback, so why don’t I use one of these as a football?’ Then I thought, ‘Well, I’m the All-American Girl, shouldn’t I be a cheerleader?’ It was very funny… that’s how the whole film went, because there was no time to prepare. We would just create and throw things in as we went along.””

4 Likes

Just rewatched the film last night in a newer HD version. Higher quality definition both enhances and detracts from the film:
Cons

• The Hawkmen flying looks even goofier than you remember it from cable
  • Peter Wyngard’s (“Klytus”) costume suffers from being able to see his eyes and makeup around it more clearly
    -Those freaky Lizardmen scattered throughout the film don’t hold up as well in HD

Pros
A couple of visual jokes which were tough to make out in prior versions
-“Long Live Flash” spraypainted in the cell where Barin and Zharkov are held is clearly seen
-Flying billboards during the wedding, “All creatures are to partake in merriment”…followed by, “Under pain of death”

4 Likes

I just re-watched that scene. The cheerleader bit would have been an easy improv, but the presence of football shaped eggs and baddies wearing pseudo football helmets does rather make it seem that someone had this idea earlier in the production. Granted, it’s not in this “1st Draft” script:

http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Flash-Gordon.html

3 Likes

Don’t look at me, it was Melody Anderson’s statement.

The line between remembering an eccentric film shoot and telling tall tales is a thin one indeed.

But I have zero problems believing Brian Blessed demanded to be cast because the character Vultan looks just like him or that Timothy Dalton took the job as a paycheck.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.