1983 boner comedy 'Get Crazy' could be your next New Year's Eve tradition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/31/1983-boner-comedy-get-crazy-could-be-your-next-new-years-eve-tradition.html

1 Like

That looks diverting. My personal favourite New Year Movie is “Strange Days”; have yourself a very cyberpunk new millennium.

10 Likes

Same procedure as every year?

5 Likes

OMG I love that movie. I think a full version of it is on YouTube. Wildly eclectic cast, especially on the musician side.

Interestingly it never got a real release. It was distributed as a “The Producers” type scam to lose money as a tax shelter.

7 Likes

I was like “How could I never of heard of this” then I watched the trailer and - turns out I’ve seen it. ‘Rock-n-roll-Highschool’ is still the king, but I remember this being a satisfying mess.

5 Likes

Speaking of ‘Rock and Roll High School’ - did anyone ever see the sequel? I sure didn’t, but it lingers on my wish list - How bad could it be? (I’m sure Cory Feldman made a perfect replacement for Joey Ramone :()

3 Likes

I spotted Marv from Home Alone at 2:21, pre beard.

looks horrible on production values, it really shows.

Maybe it would be interesting.

1 Like

For those looking, I believe Roku weirdo channel OSI74 (video home of the Church of the SubGenius) has it.

8 Likes

Have a direct link? That website is an unsearchable mess…

1 Like

ELECTRIC LARRY!!!
electric larry

2 Likes

in glorious 360p: https://youtu.be/1-w0z68nFzk

2 Likes

I saw this when it first came out. I was surprised it didn’t do well at the box office, but I’m a boomer, raised on Mad Magazine, who could figure out who was being parodied. I’ve seen it a few times since on VHS and DVD. It held up pretty well as defining an era or end of an era. (For those who’ve seen it, i saw it the night before my baby sister’s wedding, so I really appreciated the ending.)

2 Likes

Saw this years ago, but it wasn’t very memorable. I wanted to like it, but all I remember is thinking “How the fuck did they get Malcolm McDowell and Lou Reed to do this?” Rock 'N Roll High School was much better, in no small part because of Mary Woronov and Paul Bartel. The dark comedy Eating Raoul is still a personal favorite.

2 Likes

I dunno about their site but you can view it here, and I believe you don’t even have to actually own a Roku.

3 Likes

I remember when this came out, the TV trailers made it looks like such trash I ignored it. Then a decade or so later I caught the last half hour on late night TV and was impressed, it had this kind of benevolent chaos that is hard to describe.

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

OSI 74’s copy, hosted on Vimeo, is also only 360p: https://player.vimeo.com/video/249196647

2 Likes

I spent new year’s eve with my wife and little daughter setting up her new room. Together with an MDMA fueled house party fifteen years ago, this now shares the top of my list of best new year’s parties I’ve had.

Happy new year!

1 Like

Malcolm McDowell I can see why. He is definitely of the “There are no checks unworthy of signing” school of British acting and was crazy busy that year. Lou Reed was a bit of a head scratcher. But I guess the chance to play a Dylan espy was too hard to resist.

1 Like

Link to the Roku channel store: (you may need to be logged in)