20,000 rescued bees decorate this woman's maternity photos

I suppose I see a value in improving the public image of honey bees. I know this article and the bee beard one spurred me to learn a lot more about them than I knew before. Does it also help this couple market their business? Yes, but since their business is apparently rescuing bees from extermination, I don’t see what that’s a bad thing. I also don’t understand why you put rescued in quotation marks. Do you not believe they’re relocating bees that would otherwise face extermination? If so, can I ask why? I’m not saying I disbelieve you, but I’d be curious to know you’re reasons for thinking that.

Capturing swarming bees or relocating them from an area where they may be destroyed as a nuisance by a property owner is laudable, this “bee beard” crap is incredibly destructive. Every time a hive is moved, even when the hive chooses to swarm, dozens of bees die. They are self-sacrificial and will cluster in ways that kill off certain members to preserve the queen. No matter how delicately they are handled, the hive will be greatly impacted; they’re basically refugees at that point. This is like rescuing dogs to then turn around and use as fighters.

EDIT: Having said that, these best are probably far better off than in the care of most beekeepers who employ all manner of destructive and inhumane practices. They should just maybe rethink how their silly photo shoot affects their “friends”.

Then again, maybe this was a rescue operation that they took an opportunity with. I’m not exactly enraged by this, it’s just a little disingenuous to label themselves as such “friends” of bees.

1 Like

That’s fair. I admit I can’t get too worked up over the death of individual insects if the hive survives. I see them as hive animals and even then not capable of experiencing pain the way dogs do. To me, they’re a fascinating natural resource to be conserved, and I assume the hive can replace dead drones if properly cared for.

I get you’re more empathetic to the bees, and that’s understandable. I suppose I’d regard myself as a hypocrite if I worried about individual bee deaths when I’ve exterminated entire ant and termite colonies, which seem no more or less capable of feeling pain. But I do understand that there’s an objective need to maintain honey bee populations whereas termites (in houses, not forests) are just pests.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.