2008 was the earliest use of the word "mansplain"

I agree; sometimes, it’s totally intentional.

27 Likes

Well, actually…

5 Likes

Not arguing here at all, but I (male) have caught myself being equally condescending to other men, younger folks of all genders etc. Ie. I think it’s a guy thing in general, but comes out especially strong for the mysogynist set conversing with women.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your statement on the object level, but I just couldn’t leave it well enough alone. Sorry. Ahem:

If horses with a single spiral horn projecting from their forehead weren’t a common, widespread species, then there would be no need to have a name describing them.

(How’s that for a unicorn chaser? :smiley: )

2 Likes

I have a friend who uses the term “manexplain” to guys just so he can hear them mansplain to him that the correct term is mansplain.

13 Likes

14 Likes

:musical_note: And the boys go on and on and on and on :musical_note:

1 Like

There are plenty of things which aren’t widespread but still have terms.
Trump’s “stable genius”
Feminazi
International Jew
White oppression

2 Likes

I Beam!!!

1 Like

Don’t forget “Islamofascist”, equally handy in letting you know that the speaker has no credibility whatsoever.

8 Likes

Surely still better than xmansplain…

4 Likes

Wait a second. Are you THE Gully Foyle?
What is your nation?
What is your home?
What is your destination?

3 Likes

Terra.
Deep space.
Yelp reviews are inconsistent. Still deciding between the death and the stars.

10 Likes

Now try singing that to anything but the tune of Yankee Doodle.

2 Likes

Mansplain%20definition

14 Likes

7 Likes

So much yoinkage.

Never mind how kinky that sounds; you know what I mean.

:wink:

7 Likes

getout

13 Likes

But is it that easy? We’re all individual minds and we tend to completely misinterpret what others are actually thinking. How can I know if my attempt to explain something is being interpreted as condescending? Whether I’m talking to a man or a woman? Maybe my tendency is to overexplain everything, appearing condescending to everyone but that offense would take on a new level if a woman accused me of “mansplaining”.

Thus my (mostly exaggerated) comment suggesting I simply keep my thoughts to myself.

But shit. Is this post right here an example of mansplaining? Dammit…

3 Likes

There’s a way to avoid being ‘that guy’; don’t offer any info, unsolicited.

Wait until someone asks for your input.

3 Likes