Correctile Dysfunction: the global crisis of men correcting women who know more than they do

Originally published at: Correctile Dysfunction: the global crisis of men correcting women who know more than they do | Boing Boing

9 Likes

amy poehler mansplaining GIF by Golden Globes

I’ll be back in a bit, I’m off to make some popcorn for when the guys claim they don’t mansplain, actually.

16 Likes

Woah. My new favorite phrase.

12 Likes

Should we start a pool for how many comments until someone says “not all men do this”?

17 Likes

Would it pay double if they explained betting odds?

15 Likes

I think what you mean to say is…

11 Likes

1401ccf1d32780fb4bab3a8d78fb4ef4

Wow, used up one of your team’s Strikes already… :grin::+1:

13 Likes

Couldn’t be more timely, to me at least.

But then again, it’s always time for correctile dysfunction.

10 Likes

Solnit more recently wrote a follow up article to her first one on mansplaining. It’s a good read:

13 Likes

No one I know believes this is a real thing. This blog is the only space in the world I know of where people think mansplaining is more than a joke or a weird delusion some people have. Even women telling stories about their own lives treat it like a relatable joke.

Oddly enough I have had it explained to me… a lot.

10 Likes

Gah, that must be so frustrating and disorienting!
I spent 13 years working in a pretty front-facing position in a male-dominated field and can verify that all the tropes we see about mansplaining, hepeating, and other forms of condescension are real and common.
I once finished a presentation about a (for our industry) groundbreaking new on the job training program I’d spearheaded and received the unsolicited feedback after that, since I’d included concepts like badging and some gamification, that it was all very childish and workers wouldn’t go for it.
Even though my presentation included the year-long test run and how much all the workers and supervisors involved had loved it.
I just couldn’t imagine the guy bothering to say that to a male presenter.

17 Likes

Not all men do this. Just the ones who went to school as children.

1 Like

What’s “hepeating”?

2 Likes

Well…

Just repeating, but exchanging he for re. There’s also the part that it was a point made by a woman, and you can fill in the rest.

4 Likes

AFAIK it means a situation when a woman says something that is ignored or rejected, then a man says exactly the same thing and it is accepted.

12 Likes

My PhD supervisor used to do this ALL the time.
We called it “The Jedi Mind Trick”

“These aren’t the driods you’re looking for”

5 Likes

Hepeating isn’t done just one way. Sometimes it’s when men don’t hear what a woman says until a man repeats it. Then others suddenly think it’s worth hearing.

17 Likes

Ah, yeah, that makes sense (unfortunately). Thought it might be something along those lines!

3 Likes

…and right underneath the part about body shaming came an ad for “how to get a bikini body at any age.” GAAAAHHH!

5 Likes

The character was based on Arabella Weir’s experiences of suggesting jokes for the Fast Show.

8 Likes