2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Technically true.

Biden/McConnell 2020!

10 Likes

tl;rd: Be cautious of “fact checkers” who editorialize.

8 Likes

Once again, not a good look. Not that he is actually a viable candidate, at least not yet.

9 Likes
8 Likes

Well I guess Andrew is doing better lately

7 Likes

To me, this is actually a selling point. Someone who did the research, learned something new, and changed her entire outlook as a response is admirable, not wishy-washy.

19 Likes
10 Likes

But she’ll remain in the race in spirit.

11 Likes

7 Likes

And there was much rejoicing! (And nothing of value was lost.)

8 Likes

Smells like desperation.

10 Likes

13 Likes

Caucuses are not democratic:

8 Likes

Are town halls not democratic? How about roll-call votes in Congress? “Democracy”=/=“secret ballot”.

6 Likes

The self-delusion of mediocre old white men is one of the fuel components that drives American elections. It explains both Tom Steyer and those who defend the Iowa Caucuses.

8 Likes

The concept of a secret ballot is an advancement on the democratic voting process that has been gaining ground around the country for the last 100 years or so.

12 Likes

Steyer for sure has the best ads. (There are some in the article I link below.) The messages in most of his ads are, “big corporations have bought our democracy, it is time to take that back for the people” and he mentions campaign finance reform and making voting easier. It is pretty hard to find fault with that, even if you hate billionaires, and I can’t object to his spending his own money to run them.

Bloomberg seems to be spending the most on ads right now – as much as all the other candidates put together – but his ads were apparently created by the William Burroughs “cut up technique”.

1 Like

Secret ballots go back further than that, but whether they are an “advancement” depends on what one is trying to accomplish. It is trendy these days to hate on the Iowa Democratic caucuses, but the people who know them best – the Iowa Democrats – prefer them, and I don’t think many of the critics have standing to scold them for that.

How about scolding (lily-white) Iowa for always going first?

7 Likes