2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Biden can fuck off. Of course Biden says, “no room for compromise” as a swipe at Bernie. Mr. Anti-bussing, friend of Strom Thurmond, demonizer of Anita Hill has no room for compromise on people’s rights?

Bernie should come out unequivocally for trans rights because that’s the right thing to do. Biden should come out unequivocally for trans rights too, not just bring it up to take a swipe at Bernie.

14 Likes

Anything to get some attention, and drive that “polling at 1%” up 100% to 2%.

4 Likes

Biden - to his credit - was actually a leader in trans rights and pushed that issue in the Obama Administration when others were backing away.

On that one he came out on the issue and was a champion. He has earned credibility there.

There was a White House policy meeting on trans rights in no small part because of Biden. I was at that table.

He’s not the guy for the future of the country- but he deserves his credit in that score.

23 Likes

Fair enough. Good on him.

9 Likes

xhss9

5 Likes

:sigh:

You’re stepping on your own brand and gaslighting victims. Back up and fix this crap.

16 Likes

I saw these somewhere last week. I didn’t want to pile on or come across as anti-Bernie, but I think they are absolutely relevant.

Edit-tweets were in the wrong order

11 Likes
10 Likes

6 Likes

It’s ludicrous how easily-flustered and defensive he is. Also stop grabbing people, Joe. It’s creepy.

14 Likes

Thread:

If you wonder why some people don’t trust Sanders it’s because of how often the message being sent is not the same as what he claims to be standing for.

11 Likes

That’s ok, but if you go around telling people that then neither you or your supporters get to blame them if you lose.

They were doing exactly what you told them so it is your fault, Joe Biden.

13 Likes

I cannot help but look askew at how, in our modern era, you are expected to rescind and reject an endorsement for ideological reasons, when in the end an Endorsement is literally someone else, who you do not control, stating their preference for you. If Charles Manson endorsed Bernie, Bernie would have no choice but to sit there and take it, just as he has with Rogan. Sanders also does not have a mind control ray; he cannot stop a fully-grown dumb man from being dumb out loud. Also, Mr. Sanders does have a slightly better record than some suggest re: LGBTQIA Issues:

… And MORE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE JOE ROGAN PODCAST than watched all the Dem Debates so far this year COMBINED. Rogan himself has said he’s never voted before and would vote for Bernie --and if his endorsement gets even 1% of the people who didn’t vote AT ALL in 2016 to show up and vote for Sanders, then that’s a million people – way more than the 80,000 humans in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Pensylvania who tipped the election for Trump. Democrats need a big fuckin’ tent to win this election, and they need people inside the tent to stop setting fire to it, and they need even more desperately for people who aren’t in the tent to come into it, and we need the Dem candidate to win if we’re ever going to have a qualified supreme court in this country never mind not choking on hot CO2 like morons. .

Is Joe Rogan an ass? Indubitably; I don’t look for the answers to the crises of life from a guy who was on News Radio. I’m going to vote for the Dem candidate – even if it’s Bernie – because I would rather have an imperfect, human, evolving president than the immobile, ego-stricken turd we have now, and every time a Democrat says another Democrat did something so bad they shouldn’t win, Stephen Miller gets his wings. Every time we talk about identity for some people instead of about class for all people, they win. When Democrats fight Democrats about who was a better person first, Republicans win. Maybe let’s stop helping them?

1 Like

Um, no he doesn’t. He can say that he doesn’t accept the endorsement and rejects ties with that person. He has no control over Rogan, but he has control over his campaign’s messaging.

13 Likes

See, I thought the point of Campaign messaging is to win by attracting a broad group of voters to your ideas. As opposed to perpetually apologizing to groups in the correct order and in the correct way, constantlly genuflecting to smaller and smaller special interests until, oopsy-doopsy, you lose.

After the election, Bernie can reject Rogan.

After.

1 Like

I’m sorry - endorsing a Pride Parade and passing a non discrim bill that only covers housing when the standard is housing, public accommodation and employment is not a Trans Mecca!!!

Especially when that limited bill did not include trans people - only gay people.

Doing nothing for trans people isn’t doing anything for trans people at all. It’s certainly not revoking existing rights - and it’s nice he treated some people well personally - but that’s not what you judge his political achievements on an issue by.

Hell - Strom Thurmond’s staff treated me well when I went to visit his office lobbying for trans inclusion in nondiscrim bills. That didn’t make him a civil rights champion.

15 Likes

It’s is perhaps also by not losing people who currently support you from your base.

11 Likes

It’s not just that, no. It’s also about reacting to other things happening which might have an impact on how the public sees your campaign. NOT rejecting bigoted endorsements or even welcoming them, shows a willingness to accept bigotry in your campaign.

embracing the endorsement of someone who is ON RECORD as saying bigoted things means losing the vote of others and showing how little you care about their rights. But hey, not like trans people, women, or people of color matter? /s

12 Likes

Even if that were the case (and it’s not, as @Mindysan33 pointed out above), the Sanders campaign went far beyond “taking it” . They made an ad, they sent out a tweet from the campaign account touting Rogan’s support.

The campaign insists that Bernie’s stances on social issues are one way, all while Bernie continues say things to the contrary and to support people and politicians who are actively working to undermine those same issues.

At best, this leaves folks wondering where the campaign really stands. At worst, it excludes those voters who feel strongly about those issues.

Optics matter.

12 Likes

There’s no votes there. Stick with that 28% of white straight guys for the win.

14 Likes