2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/prettybadlefty/status/1221135869874266114?s=21

“Vote blue no matter who”. “Any Dem will do”. “No purity tests”. Etc.

That was never anything more than a rhetorical tactic to preemptively neutralise working class power, by attempting to delegitimise the refusal to support corrupt/imperialist/etc Democrats. It was never going to extend to the left.

11 Likes

A bit more seriously, a lot of people are supporting Sanders and Warren not because they believe they will be the perfect president but because they will give people some space to recover after decades of neoliberalism and it’s detrimental effects on the working classes. We will still be fighting against them, but there will be less of a life or death feel about it.

Bernie has dropped in my opinion by his reaction to the Joe Rogan endorsement. Even ignoring it would have been better than what he did. He’s still in my top two (I am deliberately not choosing between Warren and Sanders at this point), but there is an uncertainty that I didn’t have before.

13 Likes

There is a distinction between Republicans saying they don’t like Trump while still being Republicans and Democrats choosing candidates in a primary.

Dems should say vote blue no matter who. Republicans will always be looking to find a Republican to vote for.

Edit:

The subject of that tweet was Brett Stephens.

“ “Until last year, I voted Republican in every single election,” Stephens told MSNBC anchor Stephanie Ruhle.”

9 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

The negative attacks by the Democratic candidates on one another are working:

How do you reach that conclusion.

Is this greater than previous years at this time in the process?

3 Likes

Just comparing it to the numbers from earlier polls, where people seem to have been more flexible. For example, in the April 2019 Emerson polling only 20% of Sanders supporters said they’d not vote for another candidate. (Of course, the list of candidates was different then.) (ETA: I’ll have to dig this up, I can’t remember whether this 20% compares to the red bar or the red+dark blue bar.)

At this time in the process in 2016 there was essentially only one viable candidate, at least as far as the public perceptions were concerned; Bernie’s essential-tie in Iowa is what made him a factor to consider in the national polling.

That must be a fun experience for her campaign staffers. Helping her juggle impeachment hearings while booking and fitting in long distance travel for less than half hour long events all while she’s running on less than 4 hours of sleep a night.

7 Likes

What a crock. Yes exchange one reckless president for another. I’ve seen this argument before. “Yes, we know the current person is a threat to democracy but the other person… well, I’m just not sure about them, you know?” That was the Globe and Mail’s editorial for why you should vote for Stephen Harper over Michael Ignatieff (2011 Canadian federal election).

7 Likes

Somehow Joe is blowing his lead doing this regardless of the fact that many of his opponents are somewhat tied up in DC for at least another week because of the impeachment stuff

7 Likes

C’mon Bernie - step up on your Joe Rogaine mistake.

11 Likes

Several policies that financial reform advocates have called for would negatively impact the financial industries tied to big Democratic donors. A proposal to close the carried interest loophole that provides a tax break to partners at private equity and hedge funds could directly hit Klarman. A May 2018 report by Public Citizen wrote that super PAC donations to both parties block policies with overwhelming public support such as addressing inequality, establishing a wealth tax, and strengthening white collar law enforcement.

8 Likes

Oh how I fear and suspect that the wealthy fucks will win again.

6 Likes

Also from the article:

After the 2016 election, Klarman began supporting Democratic efforts to take control of Congress and defeat Trump.

Isn’t that a good thing, that even hedge fund managers are trying to reverse the current timeline?

Yes, yes, it’s such a good thing, isn’t it?

Or that they see a recoil against Trump and the plutocrats, and they want to dampen the change.

7 Likes

They know that the Dem establishment has been waiting for the capture of the modern party by wealthy white men to become official and open. Uncle Joe and Wall Street Pete will feel more comfortable showing their true priorities with all that money behind them.

7 Likes

But but, VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO, DAMNIT!!

8 Likes

I think, right at this point in time, I’ll take help wherever I can find it. The law shouldn’t allow anonymous billionaire superPacs, but as long as they do I prefer at least some of them be on my side. Get a Sanders or Warren in any way we can, then ban the damn things.

Of the billionaires listed in the article, Klarman seems to be traditionally (centrist) Republican, Sussman traditionally (centrist) Democratic. Even as a billionaire you can apparently believe that preservation of the country as we (used to) know it is still in your best interest.

Let’s check in on Andrew for a second

4 Likes