2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

we appear to be doomed–

8 Likes

There are probably a lot of good things that can be done through executive order alone. There’s tons of executive overreach, a lot of it probably bad, and obviously you could end that. Most of what was mentioned in that article is basically undoing a lot of terrible executive orders, which sounds like 100% good.

Some of the other stuff… I don’t know. Whether I like the policies or not policy should be set by the legislature. That said, climate change is actually a massive “national security” issue, so some action on that is presumably justified. I don’t love the idea of countries moving towards totalitarianism to deal with crises, but I probably like Sanders’ totalitarianism (ban oil exports) over the neo-liberal alternative (I don’t know… war with Canada over the great lakes?).

7 Likes

Combine that with the various forms of cheating carried out by Republicans and yeah, it’s tough to be optimistic.

7 Likes

Heck, just having competent, sane people in charge of various departments and federal organizations, instead of incompetents, sycophants and saboteurs, would be a huge positive change.

10 Likes

So we can have a government that actually works? Good sir, I do believe you’ve gone quite mad!

8 Likes

Can Bloomberg go a day in which his money makes a good decision for his campaign?

3 Likes

I agree – but considering that Mitch McConnell has, what, 400 Bills from the house he refuses to put up to a vote, antidemocratic executive orders may be the only way to save our democracy.

Christ, do we need Senate reform.

2 Likes

I mean, I think America is fucked. I’m a huge institutionalist, but at some point you have to say, “Shit, the institutions have failed.”

Now, every time anyone has ever said that the answer has always been, “Let’s give some random shit head absolute power to get us through the crisis” and it’s never works, so Sanders taking over via executive order seems a bit like that apocryphal Einstein definition of madness. But damned if I have a better idea.

8 Likes

That is some top notch production

5 Likes

killer-mike-amerikkka

But also…

Moi8Rpr

10 Likes

Even the Joe Biden shills have to pretend to be Sanders supporters.

7 Likes

You’re 100% correct about his particular issues.

3 Likes

I love Killer Mike, I really do and I don’t doubt his words there.

But I can’t NOT post Quark if a man calls women females…

13 Likes

ESPECIALLY when the construction is “Men” and “females.” Dude…

11 Likes

Yeah… not cool.

9 Likes

I think this is pessimistic. All of the current candidates (except maybe Tulsi) are obviously electable, and can prove that electability by winning the primaries. After that, if there’s a demographic to attract, you can do that with a VP pick. This is basically what Obama did, and what HRC failed to do.

1 Like
7 Likes

That confuses me. How does he think that’s going to work? He’s not going to draw primary voters away from Sanders, but he might draw a few percentage points from the more centrist candidates opposing Sanders.

If the point was just to trash talk Sanders, he could have formed a superPAC.

10 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of his ads running while I’m at the gym out here in WA, and they definitely go hard on the healthcare and income inequality angle. The first time I saw one, I did actually think it was a Bernie or Warren ad until Bloomberg himself showed up in the video. (It might have been more apparent earlier if the sound was on, but I dunno if there’s a third-party voice-over or if it’s Bloomberg himself talking.)

4 Likes

So he thinks there is some critical mass of progressives who like those policies but aren’t smart enough to know Bloomberg doesn’t actually agree with them? Wow. My days of not taking Mike seriously are rapidly coming to a middle.

10 Likes