2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

He’s aware that there are plenty of middle/upper class white people who like to maintain the pretence of being “woke” while still defending their class and race privilege.

7 Likes

And while we’re on Bloomberg…

6 Likes

I’m a little confused here. People think that Bloomberg will siphon votes off from Sanders? And that this is the nefarious reason that Warren is pushing for his inclusion? Into what strange magical forest have I wandered this time? And are there also reports about attacks by Old Man Willow?

4 Likes

Ratner has a direct financial interest in Bloomberg- he shouldn’t be given a platform.

11 Likes
10 Likes

I’ve been a defender of the DNC in this thread, but this is really beyond the pale. It will simply rekindle the questions from 2016 that the leadership shakeout was supposed to put behind us.

The saving grace is that Bloomberg is not a good debater, and has a pretty terrible stage presence.

9 Likes
12 Likes
10 Likes

Problem in a nutshell? “Some” of them, while Republicans do a much better job of staying virtually unified.

8 Likes

Deleted for mis-reply

Exactly, because the Republicans are not any longer a “political party” in the sense we have become accustomed to, but a straight-up cult of personality. They have their God Emporer and are united by their worship of him and not by positions or principles. IMHO, this is why moderates like Biden who talk about “working with Republicans” are so totally lost. I do not know what will happen when they lose him, but the Republicans as we have known them may be done.

7 Likes

There’s an impeachment trial being stymied, a caucus on Monday, and this is from the Warren Camp:

Can one note that yes, LGBTQ students need more help, assistance, and places in the discourse about education … But do not, perhaps, need to have one high schooler pick the Sec. of Ed for the President? Or that almost any other two adjectives in Warren’s pitch instead of the two here – ‘short Christian,’ 'old vegan," – would not be seen as such a good idea?

Of course not.

Joe Biden, never touch disabled people like that without having been given permission. (starting 38 seconds in). We are people, not pets.

21 Likes

Handsy Joe mauls all.

2 Likes

Hmmm…if their goal is to align behind the Dem nominee in the general and they bring resources to that effort- it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

And is what the other side does to unify their factions. Not that they have much in the way of factions anymore.

9 Likes

You couldn’t find a better source than the National Review?

I watched the CNN clip that is supposed to be the source of this, and (a) the rightwing media is overlaying a heavy fearmongering spin on what she actually says (eg, no “veto power”), and (b) the clip has a weird edit in the middle that raises some questions.

In any event, putting a SoE candidate in front of young trans people to see what kind of vibe they get off the candidate is an excellent idea. Maybe also run them past young people from other groups that are traditionally disadvantaged in school.

2 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

A bit late. They should ask Bannon, he knows, you win the election by defining the culture to be one that votes the way you want it to.

5 Likes

AKA, they never changed, and now that they’re worried, they’re showing their true colors again.

Considering the article above,this is clearly an outright lie coming from Perez (only two weeks ago!):

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/478117-democratic-party-boss-pushes-back-on-criticism-debate-rules-very?fbclid=IwAR3wQHPflykjc5x-jlKkk4oeAWsAJO18l9Pg7rVJl9DDjzHFGw53yxVHuj4

If the rules were actually transparent, they would include a fee schedule for bribes. A guy like Bloomberg understands instinctively that that’s how it works, but I bet that if Yang had known how cheaply they could be bought, he could have ponied up $250k to stay in the debates.

6 Likes