Joe Biden announces presidential bid

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/joe-biden-announces-presidenti.html

13 Likes

giphy%20shit

28 Likes
16 Likes

I don’t usually like to hype up my own forum posts here because I think it’s really tacky but i’m going to because well, what he’s doing for his first fundraiser is even more tacky and very concerning.

Also, Beschizza has a point. People tend to forget how far to the right he is compared to everyone running in the primary this time around.

25 Likes

Totally. I won’t bat an eye if by the end of 2019, Biden and Schultz are in a kissing contest over who gets to be the newly formed Grampa’s Really Trying Not To Be Racist Now Corporate Lobby Party spoiler for Trump.

12 Likes

Um… Is the implication here that “beyond the pale” is supposed to mean “black”?

There are undoubtedly many good and practical reasons not to vote for this guy and resorting to highly dubious wordplay does no one any favors.

2 Likes

Okay, how about “those people”?

You know, the ones who aren’t especially clean, nor bright, nor articulate?

21 Likes

No. It’s probably the only thing in the speech that isn’t about black people, in fact. Why don’t you just watch the speech, then ask yourself if a reasonable observer would conclude that “beyond the pale” was the part that referred to black people?

18 Likes

I appreciate “circular firing squad” complaints, but it’s also true that the Democratic primaries this time are going cover the entire political spectrum from one step left of Trump to Sanders. It’s going to cover at least the traditional Overton window of American conventional politics, with a lot of dust kicked up either side of it.

The frustration and anguish of Trump’s presidency notwithstanding, there’s every chance that the Democratic primary election is effectively the presidential election.

23 Likes

Meh. His best chance was in 2016. If he ran then, he would have been president.

Now, the public is asking for a lot more out of their candidates. Especially in light of the future felon/neo-nazi in the white house right now.

11 Likes

Seriously, fuck this guy. Basically everything that was wrong with Clinton (the warmongering, the authoritarianism, the affection for Wall Street), is just as wrong with Biden.

20 Likes

It’s a shame that Bernie discovered the secret to stop aging so late in life.

6 Likes

20 Likes

I don’t know. America seems to love old white dudes. Maybe he stopped it just in time…

5 Likes

I already got an email from him asking for money, I’m guessing because I’m on mailing lists from previous democrat campaigns. I unsubscribed.

10 Likes

Holy shit, both Biden and Sanders were already old in 1994.

10 Likes

giphy%20(45)

19 Likes

I think he had a good thing going with that “retire while people are still associating you with the best parts of Obama’s legacy instead of remembering the worst parts of your own” approach. Oh well.

16 Likes

te13nor

15 Likes

Biden piled up a huge amount of goodwill and political capital by just smiling a lot and being Obama’s Best Friend for eight years, but on his own, with people looking at his whole past career, I think he’ll quickly go back to being the guy my Dad remembered when Obama chose him as his running mate… “Oh, great. Gaffe-factory Joe “hair plugs” Biden?”

7 Likes