2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

20200804_113806

16 Likes

5 Likes

9 Likes
17 Likes

Good. Canadian artists should have zero patience for 45 and the GOP’s BS.

10 Likes

I’m still hoping he wins, walks into the whitehouse, grasps his chest forcefully (as a ploy) and bows out leaving his VP as our first woman president.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Nah, he should allow it. The lyrics are spot on. It was an anti Reagan song after all, I can’t imagine it as anything but extremely anti Trump.

5 Likes

Although you’re totally right about the song’s intent, unfortunately the strength of the chorus completely overwhelms those without critical listening and thinking skills and suddenly we’re all USA!

See also: “Born in the USA” and “Little Pink Houses”

12 Likes

Uh huh, sure.

13 Likes

Little Pink Houses depresses the hell out of me. Born in the USA doesn’t hit nearly as hard at the destruction wrought by Reagan’s tax cuts and deregulation.

10 Likes

Republican candidates in general, not just the presidential one:

9 Likes

I hear that for sure. All three songs here are great examples of ironic repurposing. It’s a shame really, and I don’t even like John Cougar.

4 Likes

14 Likes
7 Likes

Yes, I think his idea that Trump isn’t charismatic is way off. Mr ‘Grab her by the *****’ somehow even has Christians calling him ‘god’s annointed’. It’s infuriating how people of different leanings see him so differently.

4 Likes

This is a pretty old gotcha. But apply a bit of rational sense - if the Republicans were actually in favour of ACA back in the 90s, and the Democrats were even more leftwing, how come the ACA wasn’t passed in the 90s?

What anecdotes like this represent is really a loss of ideological diversity amongst republicans. Before the current era you have occasional progressive proposals from conservative aligned think tanks and experts, some of which were similar in some ways to the Obama era reforms. But these ideas never had any support amongst mainstream republicans and hence they were never passed. And now those islands of progressive thought no longer exist.

Obamacare is most similar to the Hillary Clinton plan of 1993, which democrats failed to unite behind. This should give you a sense of where mainstream democrats were at back then - a lot less left wing than such anecdotes would make you think.

5 Likes

The ACA was a modified version of the plan rolled out by Mitt Romney in MA… :woman_shrugging:

Well, that was being promoted by a woman, so… and I think the Romney plan was also an influence.

10 Likes

The republicans, collectively. Not a single individual republican.

Romney claims credit for romneycare but the MA state legislature was democrat run. The proposal was mostly democrat, Romney’s main role was vetoing a bunch of provisions and then taking all the credit.

5 Likes