2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Don’t count on it.

https://twitter.com/rioslade/status/1317205760863051776?s=21

1 Like

Okay - I’ll vote for Trump?

11 Likes
9 Likes

Exactly.

Newsflash: Biden kinda sucks. We all know this. We all get it. We all wish there was someone more progressive on the ticket.

Given the choices we have, it’s pretty clear who we should be rooting for even if it’s not who we would have liked. The only alternative is 4 more years of Trump, which is something that I don’t even want to think about right now.

We have a very good chance of taking the White House, Senate, and House this election. This needs to be the focus, not continual grousing about how Biden isn’t our preferred candidate (we know, we know).

10 Likes

Wait, I lived in DC in 2009-10, I don’t remember any school closures.
And regarding the kids, we’ve now seen (at least in my part of the country) that community rocks when it comes to making sure those kids get their school meals and other equipment needed to learn remotely, as well as safe places to be.
Even if that hasn’t been the case everywhere, we have a zillion case studies for how to make it work. I can’t believe a Biden/Harris team would completely disregard the science and the track record that lessens the harm of school closures…
I didn’t read the whole linked thread, can you give the cliff’s notes version?

2 Likes

He doesn’t seem to be supporting the kidnapping and murder of Governors - that would be a dealbreaker for me.

It’s that fucking fire here.

8 Likes

The only way I wouldn’t vote for Biden in this election is if, all along, he’s been Donald Trump in a Biden mask and Donald Trump has been Biden in a Donald Trump mask.

8 Likes

Did you read the article? The person who wrote that tweet was trying hard to give the impression the Obama admin went after the CDC. But if you read that segment of the article you’ll find out that isn’t what happened. The tldr: Obama said the science is the guide. In a meeting with the CDC advisors. his top political advisor Emanuel dislikes the guidance given by the CDC on school shut downs, snatches the paper, and starts to rewrite it. Then another advisor, Axelrod, says don’t go messing with the scientific guidance. I’ll quote this bit. "Cursing, Emanuel crumpled the paper in his fist, threw it aside and began eating his lunch. At a crucial moment, science prevailed." my emphasis.
So an entire artcicle, a really long one, about how the trumo admin gutted the CDC and then danced on its corpse and the author of that tweet cherry picks a part of an anecdote to make it look like the Obama admin didn’t listen to the scientists. When the entire point of Propublica including that anedecdote was to highlight that the Obama admin listened to the scientists!
Rioslade deserves a prize for misinformation and misrepresentation. A really shitty prize.
On the other hand, the article was good if a bit long. https://www.propublica.org/article/inside-the-fall-of-the-cdc

19 Likes

Rahm Emanuel is a malignant asshole.

12 Likes

Yep, sweet Texas, the hardest state to vote in.

In somewhat encouraging news, Abbott is concerned enough that the texas house will turn blue to sink millions into propping up GOP races.
12 Likes

Probably also because Biden has an even worse history with race than Clinton, and Harris isn’t a candidate that resonates with black voters. In the meantime Trump has been spewing lies and doublespeak everywhere targeting black and hispanic voters. It isn’t surprising what the trend would be.

2 Likes

It’s why Twitter is a great way to find interesting articles you have missed, and why you should basically ignore all screencapped text on the site.

2 Likes

New Twitter ad from Biden/Harris, that should give people some welcome levity and awwws. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Reason #34265 to vote early:

14 Likes

Ariana Grande fighting for democracy with pizza

6 Likes

I’m actually curious is there is any standard about what counts as “electioneering” in a polling area. Is wearing a MAGA hat electioneering? Is a shirt that says “Vote for the pro-life candidate”? I have no idea. While a BLM shirt is not electioneering any more than say wearing a police uniform, it isn’t really that far from edge cases that I’m not sure about.

MAGA is a term specifically related to particular candidate, so wearing that hat to the polls definitely counts as electioneering. “Vote for the pro-life candidate” is a bit of a grey area, but as it’s specifying a particular though unnamed candidate who’s known to be anti-choice it’s legitimate to ask that person to come back without it (same would go for someone with a t-shirt saying “vote for the pro-choice candidate”).

BLM, in contrast, is just expressing a position on an issue not on the ballot, and can reasonably be assumed to be an appeal to all candidates whatever their party.

14 Likes

Since voting is a local issue, I suspect there is no “standard” answer, but the article states that in this area, shirts bearing a candidate’s name or a political party are banned, but no other types. Honestly don’t know what the rules are here, and have never worried about it. I always vote after I get off work, and since t-shirts are not an option there, and I don’t go home to change, never bothered to find out.

10 Likes

Joe I fucking swear to god…

And Biden allies say that for a nominee who will be looking to appoint the most diverse Cabinet in history, ideological diversity should be a part of those considerations.

Yes, let’s always be sure to include the ideological position that government is a useless waste in our government’s operation.

Biden allies believe working across the aisle will make it possible to carry out a sweeping agenda on health care and the economy.

Sure, just like last time, when reaching across the aisle resulted in a watered-down corporate-friendly mess of a health care bill that still netted exactly zero Republican votes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still voting for him because he’s the only sane option, but fucking hell if he doesn’t make me want to rip my hair out at the best of times…

12 Likes

maybe he could offer a cabinet post to sitting republican senators that stand a decent chance of being replaced by democrats, maybe appoint grassley as secretary of agriculture and let the democratic governor of kansas appoint his replacement. appoint kennedy of louisiana as secretary of commerce and let the democratic governor appoint his replacement.

edited to add, you get my point surely. kentucky, pennsylvania, and wisconsin all have republican senators who could be replaced by democratic governors. that could actually work out to our favor if biden were to do that.

5 Likes