2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Yes, on both laptop and ipad. Having a quick scroll through the thread it looks like all Tenor GIFs (which appear to actually be video files) are not displaying on my ipad.

3 Likes

Can you see them on your laptop, the tenor gifs? But you can’t see them on your ipad?

@KathyPartdeux, are you using a phone?

5 Likes

Looking towards the future, today we’re just ever so slightly closer to the day when we can functionally stop worrying about the electoral college and focus on the national popular vote like an actual democracy:

12 Likes

Some states are probably going to finish counting enough to call it today.

Remember remember the 5th of November.

10 Likes

Good news!

Matching up the signatures on the ballots with what’s on file.

9 Likes

I was - in the office now - and I can see them just fine.

5 Likes

That is showing on both phone & desktop.

6 Likes

Okay… that’s uploaded. I posted this issue over in the gif issue thread… If you want to weigh in there you can. I think I pinged you!

6 Likes

Hopefully without the gunpowder. We already have treason and plot covered.

6 Likes

i’ve been trying out a variety of theories about the, apparently, unmoving 39-40% of the american public who consistently, nay monotonously, “approve” of what trump is and does. i know some large fraction of that are people who are just as damaged, deranged, and hideous as he is but is that enough to explain all of his “support”? i’d like to think not because i’m an optimist and a blessing-counter by nature but it would be useful to have a way of explaining/describing the phenomenon.

one thing i’ve considered this morning is that some fraction of donny’s people are engaging in a kind of sunk-cost fallacy of politics. my idea is that there are some people who went for trump in 2016 because they wanted something different from politics as usual. now, because they already had to give up so much integrity by supporting someone who turned out to be truly hideous that they just can’t give him up. throwing “good money after bad” so to speak except morally. trump’s not going to stop them, after all throwing good money after bad is just a summary of every business plan he’s ever had.

does anybody here think that’s a plausible explanation for some of his unchanging level of support? and if so, how much of it do you think that might account for? if it’s more than a third there are ways of getting past the sunk-cost fallacy that might be applied. if it’s less, and significantly less then . . .

i got nothing.

9 Likes
8 Likes

I don’t know anymore but from what I did understand from some folks is that a lot of people see him as no worse than any other politician, just he shows it and rubs it in the faces of the opposition. However the part that scares me is that this means they had already normalized and accepted this level of corruption then prior to 2016.

12 Likes

in my theory, that represents the sunk-cost they’re hanging on to.

8 Likes

I’ll take white supremacy at near 100%.

8 Likes

I also think there’s true sadism that just needs to be acknowledged. I do believe certain percentage of the US population sees this administration and everything harmful from it as just punishment and some have probably not even begun to feel enough people have suffered. Not every Trumpist could possibly feel that way, but enough must also feel that way at least somewhat to make them willing to shrug off or sympathize with the rest.

8 Likes

tng-picard-facepalm

9 Likes

I think there’s probably a fair amount of that. On the other hand if you’re someone who voted for Trump last time, you really have no reason to change your view. He hasn’t changed, he’s still doing and saying the same stuff and he’s still successfully blaming the ‘libs’ (and foreigners and foreign libs) for everything his supporters think is wrong in their lives. So why should their support wane?

10 Likes

Vox has an interesting take on at least the Hispanic part of the puzzle. I think, myself, that it is more complicated than they discuss here, esp as “Hispanic” is a made up category containing a very diverse group of peoples. But it’s a place to start a conversation.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I think that’s part of it, but a much larger part may be simple team association. For people who have the privilege to be unaffected by 45’s actions and rhetoric, politics is a team sport. If I had a buck for every time I’ve heard “I’m a lifelong conservative “ from people who haven’t yet been directly affected, I could run for office myself. Never mind that 45 isn’t a conservative; it’s team sports. Shirts vs skins. Or, in this case, Brownshirts vs skins.

13 Likes