2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

I’ll add that I have often been told by people who didn’t vote for Trump things like “well your life isn’t directly any worse other than maybe more stress about COVID so why do you even care so much?”

Caring for others and wanting a better future for generations of people who aren’t directly related to me has now been pathologized I think even among democratic voters. So I can’t imagine how much more extreme that must be among republicans.

11 Likes

I blame South Park for that. Not entirely, but not an insignificant amount either.

4 Likes
13 Likes

Okay, that one is completely blank on both my laptop and ipad. Not even a blank square to indicate there’s supposed to be an image.

3 Likes

Brief AZ update: Biden’s lead is at about 69(nice),000 votes, and it looks like he’s gained ground in Maricopa. He was up by 3.4 points there yesterday and is now up by over 4. It looks like Maricopa also still constitutes the bulk of outstanding votes, too. It’ll likely be a squeaker, but I still don’t think the calls by the AP and Fox are wrong.

10 Likes

Yes, it was an upload gone awry… Gonna try again…

5 Likes

Why are election results reported by county? Clark County in Nevada has 813,000 votes counted right now versus Esmerelda county which has 474.

1 Like

Federalism

7 Likes

jw6kF41

10 Likes

Is “federalism” the right word to describe the relationship between the state government and the counties? I guess I’m just surprised that there aren’t any states that don’t have “District Election Commissioners” rather than “County Election Commissioners” since there isn’t anything really legislative about being an election commissioner and it doesn’t really seem to have anything to do with distribution of power on its face.

3 Likes

counties ( and parishes ) have their own measures and candidates: sheriffs, judges, county boards, etc. and they’re the smallest political unit(s) that contain unincorporated towns and the like. plus they don’t change during district redrawing so it’s (probably) just the division that makes the most sense.

bigger than a single town of hundred people, and smaller than the state itself. relatively stable boundaries over time.

8 Likes

Silver is making the interesting point that because Fox called AZ so soon (too soon?) it is probably going to drag its feet on calling Nevada.

2 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes
19 Likes

Excellent.

11 Likes

The Judiciary, it seems, is having absolutely none of Trump’s bullshit today. Judgements coming down everywhere.

17 Likes

here’s the way the process works in texas–

if you want a really deep dive you could the manual–

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 5000 replies. Continue discussion at 2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 2).