2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

a7dbdff5f7523775

8 Likes

Most recently, the Washington Post reported that a dramatic story he told about the war in Afghanistan conflated and confused facts from multiple different incidents.

Biden has said that he was not intentionally trying to mislead anyone with that story, and he argues that kind of mistake has nothing to do with his ability to serve as president.

“The details are irrelevant in terms of decision-making,” Biden told NPR.

Relevant portions @ 19:35 and 23:37

https://harryshearer.com/le-shows/september-01-2019/#t=19:35

4 Likes

Yeah. The way he defended those gaffes last night only brought them much more to my attention and made me even more concerned.

Here’s that entire segment

Not only that but the show’s opening also touched on his gaffes

5 Likes

Sanders and Warren are splitting the liberal vote. That’s how assholes like Uncle Joe get the nomination.

Fortunately, it’s still early, and I’m confident Sanders and Warren can work something out among themselves to prevent that from happening.

4 Likes

I’m confident they can, but considerably less confident that they will.

3 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

That’s a substantive plan. The coal industry and the communities built around it are dying. I hope that in 2020, coal country will finally realize that this buffoon
neither knows nor cares about coal workers.

9 Likes

Finally, Sanders arrived at Lamar Alexander, the 79-year-old Republican senator from Tennessee. “Lamar is not a liar,” he said. “Lamar is not a sexist, he’s not a racist, he’s not a homophobe. He’s a conservative guy.”

Sanders failed to mention that Lamar Alexander would not be in the Senate by the time he hypothetically took office as president. At the end of last year, Alexander announced that he will not be seeking re-election in 2020.

9 Likes

Maybe “we can pray the Hurricanes away!” is Williamson’s secret strategy for winning over Evangelicals.

6 Likes

Reminder:

The general election is not the only battle. The fight for global survival begins in the primaries. Centrist half-measures are just as catastrophic as overt climate denial.

We’re out of time.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Get out of the way, Uncle Joe. You’re a bloody embarrassment.

Also:

No wonder the DNC establishment didn’t want an official debate dedicated to climate-change: all these young people worried about an existential threat to their futures are making their favourite neoliberal-lite candidates look like fools.

9 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

I’d like to think that Starship Enterprise red-alert sirens were going off in the HQ’s of fossil fuel companies all last night.

4 Likes
8 Likes

The failure of Democratic storytelling:

(What, you think voters pay attention to facts and rational arguments?)

5 Likes

Since 1980, the Dem establishment has for the most part responded to every crappy narrative of greed and fear the GOP tells to successfully appeal to the Know-Nothing 27% by offering up a lukewarm version of the same. Rock star candidates like Bill Clinton and Obama can make it sound all hopey-changey, but even then we still get “superpredators” and the ACA.

5 Likes

Oddly I know an evangelical who has always been more left of center politically and doesn’t care for trump at all. He seems to be posting a lot of Marianne Williamson quotes on Facebook. There may be a small market there for evangelical school who don’t fit the right wing extreme stereotype. Who believe in a more jesus like compassionate Christianity…
Personally I feel like her stuff is nice but it comes off a bit as victim blaming… I mean telling the little guy to love each other is nice but it’s not gonna solve exploitation from people with power and money to gain…

4 Likes