2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

That’s one of the big issues I have with people who champion the “use the power of prayer/hope/directed intent to make the bad situation go away” philosophy. Not only is it ineffective against real problems, it implicitly blames the victims of those situations for not praying/hoping/loving/wishing hard enough.

Your child died of malaria? Try praying to a different deity next time! Your grandparents were slaughtered in the Holocaust? Too bad they didn’t read The Secret!

7 Likes

right. it’s very nice on a personal level maybe to deal with a situation you have no power over, but as a society we can actually do real things to change wealth inequality, the environment etc… or at least stop bad actors from making it worse.

2 Likes

This should be interesting.

8 Likes

As I understand it, it is still up to the state parties (presumably at the state convention) as to how to use the information. They could, for example, still give all the delegates to the person who got the most #1 votes.

1 Like
6 Likes

Well, one would hope so.

10 Likes

It’s hard to imagine what they could find that is worse than the things we already know. I guess the Epstein investigation could always get darker.

8 Likes

“Ranked choice” is a pretty good way to collect votes, but it doesn’t specify the entire election process. There are still various ways to count the ballots. “Instant runoff” has its merits but also its critics.

It’ll take a while to educate the public about all this. Maybe in fifty years or so it’ll be sorted out.

3 Likes

Even if they don’t anything worse, maybe they can make more people aware of all the shittiness that we already know about. (As I understand it, an awful lot of American voters basically tune out politics except for a while around the elections.)

3 Likes

The Iowa caucuses are a form of instant runoff. That’s one reason I like the fact that Iowa is still as influential as it is in the primary process.

1 Like

I think that part of it is to be more granular. What did you promise or say about this state, City or town. What came from it?

Which isn’t a bad thing for swing states - just why haven’t you been doing this?

1 Like
6 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

Love to be the campaign spokesperson whose only job is saying “we’re so sorry about him” multiple times per day.

7 Likes
4 Likes

I seriously haven’t met any of these mystery people from these polls who supposedly think Biden is their top choice. (closest Ive heard from anyone is “of course id vote for any democrat over trump but he’s not my first choice”) I need to find them to have an intervention.

6 Likes

I can only imagine it’s nostalgia, name recognition, and better the devil you know for Biden, some amount of FUD against Bernie, and just ignorance about the other choices

Most people are not paying attention

7 Likes
2 Likes