2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Learn math. 1.4 million out of 300 million (roughly) is 0.4%, not 0.004%.

9 Likes

Trans people aren’t the only people that care about trans issues.

Your estimates are pretty fucked up.

Do you think it’s only women that vote on access-to-abortion issues?

Do you think it’s only enlisted military that vote on military issues?

Do you think it’s only children, teachers, and parents that vote on education issues?

Your argument here is based on a pretty unsophisticated premise.

You’re like the people that said only black people would vote for Obama.

12 Likes

Uh,

no.

Reflecting something accurately isn’t minimizing it. And stating that those issues that involve a startlingly low number of voters may not be the best place to invest time and lung-power is just understanding politics.

Motherfucking Republicans will vote for a Werewolf with a mouth full of baby if she’ll cut taxes; the ‘Progressive Left’ is 1,000,000 splintered groups who will chuck a candidate for the crime of not mentioning their precise intersectional concern first, most and loudest. It’s why the Progressive Left loses, and it’s why they deserve to.

I’m glad you know more about lgbt demographics than the literal experts in lgbt demographics.

Me - just a trans person who remembers way back when people like the NYT were reporting trans women were one in 10,000 and trans men were one in 100,000.

10 Likes

Well - don’t piss us and our families off either. You could suppress the vote when every vote counts.

7 Likes

You’re not reading what I’m saying.

All people should care about these issues. But above, someone noted it was pure transphobia that no one was talking to access for abortion for trans Men, and holy fuck, that kind of picayune, myopic stuff is picayune and myopic.

Bill Gates has always been an entitled asshole

and much of what’s wrong with Microsoft is based on what’s wrong with Bill

6 Likes

Things that don’t effect you are naturally unimportant to you.

That’s how I feel about your views on this subject- they’re unimportant.

12 Likes

Sure, you’re just being “sophisticated” and “understanding politics”

Big number.

And you don’t think they’re actually still Democratic voters that pretty much always vote for the Democratic candidate, and have done so for your entire lifetime?

Those are the people you’re accusing of not getting behind a candidate? The ones that actually do always get behind the candidate, whether they think they’re ideologically perfect?

You’re not convincing me you’ve got a handle on how these things shake out.

10 Likes

I am NOT TALKING ABOUT PISSING PEOPLE OFF. I know transpeople, I love transpeople, I work with transpeople. But as I said, when someone above offered that it was pure transphobia that a political candidate wasn’t talking loudly and fervently about abortion access for transmen, that was all I was responding to. I don’t think talking about this stuff is bad, and I want every candidate to have a position and policies. But to chuck a candidate because they don’t talk about your concern first and foremost when your concern represents a smaller portion of the population is self-fulfilling progressive fail-policy. .

1 Like

I am talking about time allocation for speeches by political candidates. That’s all.
And you can go ahead and think my views are unimportant, as that’s your right. But airtime is finite, there are a lot of candidates and not everything is going to be talked about.

Well - sucks to be you - because we’re not going to shut up about what’s important to us and holding pols accountable for that.

Maybe the thing that turns people off is people going on and on about how others tiny unimportant lives don’t matter?

Maybe that nonsense suppresses voters?

11 Likes

Obama-Trump voters (who voted for Obama and then Trump) decided the last election. If you think Democrats vote as a monobloc, you’re not convincing me you have a handle on how these things shake out.

But thanks for seizing on the smallest part of what I was saying like it was the last horcrux.

No, @MalevolentPixy posted a thread about how important it is to be inclusive of trans and NB people when discussing reproductive justice—a thread which explicitly states they’re not trying to be “woker” than others—and then you said that talking about trans people’s reproductive rights (“men can get pregnant too!”) was stupid and unimportant, which @the_borderer helpfully pointed out is transphobic.

9 Likes

Great! Please do! I look forward to the new utopia of understanding!

And I don’t think ‘Maybe that nonsense suppresses voters’ as much as actual voter suppression (roll-emptying, id laws, etc) suppresses votes, which is why my money this election is going to FairFight2020 – to make elections better for all.

1 Like

That’s a view. It’s probably not right, but it’s a view.

A percentage of those were protest voters, either way. They’re not going to be moved by a centrist Democrat any more than a more progressive one. If you argue they are, it’s more likely going to be in the direction of a progressive one.

The theoretical “Obama-Trump voter” voted against Clinton. Putting in a Democratic candidate that soft-pedals progressive policy isn’t going to sway people who were protesting status quo centrism.

7 Likes

At no point did I say ‘stupid’ or ‘unimportant.’

@MalevolentPixy posted a thread about how important it is to be inclusive of trans and NB people when discussing reproductive justice

Yep, But how inclusive? And how important? Does it have to be on the website, in a speech, on the bumper sticker? Do you mention it even though it’s the edge case because if you don’t you’ll piss people off? Or do you not because it’s the edge case and if you do people will wonder why you’re talking about the edge case and not the big issue?

You are literally the only person making a huge stink about this. The original thread basically consisted of “maybe say ‘pregnant people’ instead of ‘pregnant women’”. You’re the one who directly associated that calm, tiny request for inclusivity—again, a request which went out of its way to disclaim was not being made to put anyone or any candidate down—with major schism-generating “small-demographic purity points”.

11 Likes

Calling human beings “edge cases” is pretty dehumanizing.

14 Likes

Not the people, the concern.