2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1195390743550087170?s=21

9 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes
5 Likes

ah yes. iowa. that 30th most populous state. where 91% of people are white and the majority of whom voted for trump in the last election. that most important of democratic bell weathers. thanks for the update and context cnn.

7 Likes

You can’t always pick who endorses you. Before this thread gets too inundated by both positive and negative endorsement posts, note that Wikipedia is trying to keep track of notable endorsements for the candidates:

I don’t think endorsements tell you very much about the candidates, though sometimes they are useful as information about the endorser, for example when journalists or pollsters endorse a candidate it helps us interpret their articles or polls. (And I guess some of them are amusing, eg Bloomberg’s endorsement from Judge Judy, Buttigieg’s endorsement from Gwyneth Paltrow, and Bernie’s endorsement from Pamela Anderson.)

3 Likes
4 Likes

Democratic 2020 presidential candidates have rejected criticism from former president Barack Obama after he warned the field of White House hopefuls not to veer too far to the left because it would alienate voters…“The average American doesn’t think we have to completely tear down the system and remake it. And I think it’s important for us not to lose sight of that,” Obama said.

what the actual fuck, Barack?!?

Sanders: “When I talk about health care being a human right and ending the embarrassment of America being the only major country on earth that does not guarantee health care for every man, woman and child, that’s not tearing down the system,” he said, according to the New York Times. “That’s doing what we should have done 30 years ago.”

8 Likes

16 Likes

“I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little. It’s exactly the reverse of what they say" - Bloomberg, 2013

The fact that Bloomberg has any support at all is a slap in the face to every Black voter. He should be openly condemned by the entire Democratic party.

Once again, white supremacy is bipartisan.

15 Likes

At this point, I think Bloomberg’s campaign slogan could be “Bloomberg: I Make Biden Look Like Malcom X” :rofl:

11 Likes

https://twitter.com/meetzow/status/1196109952949075968?s=21

9 Likes

My guess is that approximately zero of the readers of this BB thread support Bloomberg in the primaries. I say “approximately” because I could be overestimating his support.

1 Like

Given that universal health care was the original goal of the ACA, but it was crippled by Congress, I don’t think Obama has any particular beef with Warren or Sanders advancing plans for universal health care. If anything, I think he’s cautioning them on messaging and suggesting that positioning themselves as improving things and fixing things might sell better with ‘average Americans’ than a message of ‘tearing things down and starting over’.

2 Likes

Bloomberg: the one guy who could make me rethink “any Democrat would be an improvement on Trump.” So I guess he’s got that going for him anyway…

10 Likes

Was there a time Obama didn’t express this type of opinion?

2 Likes

…which is nice.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure Bloomberg, too, would be an improvement over Trump. Hell, I’m halfway convinced Marianne Williamson would be!

2 Likes

Let’s not slag Marianne Williamson by implying that they’d be worse than Bloomberg!

I feel like I’m joking but I’m not even joking. Marianne Williamson actually said a lot of stuff I 100% agree with. Sure, they came across as a lunatic, but the lunacy was the backdrop to a fundamentally compassionate stance. If you are going to spend your life caring about other people, I don’t care what ridiculous woo you use to justify that.

6 Likes

A pile of frozen dog shit would do better than Trump, but then it is a really low bar.

5 Likes