2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

In America anyone with a billion dollars can grow up to be president.

12 Likes

Sanders connecting with young folks again, better than Mayor Petey ever does. Actually better than any presidential candidate does. Who’da think they actually listen to what the candidates say, instead connecting in some sort of emotional or relatable sense? :thinking:

11 Likes

Every NY Times OP Ed on the election:

Well, almost every one.

15 Likes

image https://media.giphy.com/media/JOxmaT9Wzobg4/giphy.gif

7 Likes

“They have him under their thumb right now. They know he knows, if he comes out against Trump, he’s got a real tough road for re-election,” Biden said.

6 Likes

Small bio about Pete’s early life from the Associated Press

3 Likes

FB_IMG_1574573006920

9 Likes

Klobuchar has to realize that it isn’t her gender holding her back, but rather her shit policies, her ice-cold charm and the fact she’s a fucking Republican.

1 Like

Shocking news…

5 Likes
1 Like

17 Likes

Just saw my first Bloomberg ad in the wild on Morning Joke. Found it online.

4 Likes

[from image text - quote from a person who supposedly knows politics]

“I would never have guessed that … He’s mainly about economic equality and Medicare for All.”

Spoken like someone who thinks veterans are a one-dimensional fantasy race like orcs or trollies, not human beings with a wide variety of opinions and issues.

(And entirely beside that anyone who wouldn’t guess Sanders basically just don’t understand how numbers work. Sanders raises money $20 at a time from regular people and outraises basically everyone. If you ask “who raised the most money from small donors with trait X” then Sanders should be the first name that comes to mind)

On one hand I think you are right. On the other I think the primary issue that people take with the remark is it makes it seem like Biden doesn’t know what year it is. You are right that it isn’t evidence of literal Alzheimer’s* but I think it still fits the general complaint that Biden is out of the past. I mean, how can you brag that you once got the endorsement of the only black woman in the senate when you are running for president against a black woman in the senate right now. I care about the details, but I think it still contributes to the same “time to come home, Grandpa” narrative about Biden.

* I found myself typing “early onset Alzheimer’s” and then realized, wait, I’m talking about Biden.

And of course even that is an exaggeration of what Bloomberg is going through. The reality of being a billionaire is that you could easily drop 99% of your wealth on something frivolous and be just fine (way more than fine).

8 Likes

Well, next year when my income magically goes up from $30,000 to $30,000,000 it will affect me, so there!

10 Likes

Just another temporarily inconvenienced multimillionaire, right? Aren’t we all? :grin:

10 Likes
10 Likes

Ouch!

12 Likes

I got to this quotation:

“Kids need to see evidence that education is going to work for them, and there are a lot of kids—especially [in] the lower-income, minority neighborhoods, who literally just haven’t seen it work."

When I read that I thought of some of the things reflected in the stats from later in the article. That black college graduates have double the unemployment rate, get paid less, take on more debt. I could imagine somewhere there is a kid saying, “That guy went to college and he’s unemployed and owes the bank $20k, so fuck no I’m not doing that.” And I thought, “Yeah, okay” and then:

"There isn’t someone who they know personally who testifies to the value of education.”

So the problem is that black American adults don’t value education and don’t push their kids to do well in school? What the fuck?!?

Hey, Mayor Pete, you like economics. Let’s say you’ve got two groups, one of which takes for granted that they can get a good education and the other of which faces many systemic barriers to education that mean they have to work much harder to achieve it. In other words, one group has an abundant supply of education and the other has a scarce supply of education. Other things being equal, which group values education more?

13 Likes

No-one does “ouch” like Harriot. The righteous anger crowds out the usual funny lines, but it’s worth reading to the end.

10 Likes

True, I’m used to thinking Harriot is very funny. But this one was more personal than most.

8 Likes