2020 Election Thread (Part 2)

11 Likes

14 Likes

Trump has stopped beating around the bush and is now explicitly asking state legislatures to disregard election results and install him as President.

13 Likes

You know - all you Dem voters are pretty.

18 Likes

Nevertheless, we get this hopelessly naïve version of centrism, of the idea that if we’re nicer to the other side there will be no other side, just one big happy family. This inanity is also applied to the questions of belief and fact and principle, with some muddled cocktail of moral relativism and therapists’ “everyone’s feelings are valid” applied to everything. But the truth is not some compromise halfway between the truth and the lie, the fact and the delusion, the scientists and the propagandists. And the ethical is not halfway between white supremacists and human rights activists, rapists and feminists, synagogue massacrists and Jews, xenophobes and immigrants, delusional transphobes and trans people. Who the hell wants unity with Nazis until and unless they stop being Nazis?

21 Likes

So we all can thank:

• Black people (especially Black women)
  • Suburban white women
  • Brown people of the Southwest
  • Native Americans
  • LGBTQ people
  • White cis-het men (not you)
14 Likes

At what point does the USA punish people who traffic demonstrably false statements that harm the integrity of the nation? The next Republican leader can just state falsehoods with impunity? That’s how we roll now, in a fantasy world of lies?

8 Likes

McConnell has been doing quite a job alright.
Who he is truly working for is something I’d like to know.

Having survived this 2020 election cycle:

Let us not forget–as he seems to have–just what McConnell has survived and how he survived it:

17 Likes

And there’s all those rumors about why and how he got discharged from the military in the middle of Vietnam after serving just a few weeks.

5 Likes

With prejudice.

6 Likes
12 Likes

But will his staff say he was just kidding??

5 Likes

12 Likes

When does the appeal carousel start or are all these cases unappealable? He probably thinks this just means he can go up to a higher court that he thinks he “owns”.

3 Likes

I thought that was the strategy all along – lose cases quickly, then appeal appeal appeal, all the way up to the packed SCOTUS.

8 Likes

They’re not losing them. These cases are being dismissed as moot. Not appeal-able, as far as I understand it. IANAL, but that’s how I see this playing out.

11 Likes

No only some aspects.Others are being outright dismissed as having no legal basis at all.

For example in the order embedded above, point 1 grants the Defendants’ application to dismiss the claim. Everything after that is dismissed as moot because they all depend on there still being an active claim.

Once the amended complaint goes so does the original complaint so that application is dead.

Once the claim is dead, you don’t have anything to amend so that application goes.

No substantive claim, no injunction.

No claim, no discovery.

But you can appeal the dismissal of the claim.

11 Likes

Oh gosh it sure would be a real kick in the pants if the Republicans lost their last chance of controlling the Senate because yet another GOP legislator fell prey to the predictable consequences of her reckless actions regarding COVID-19.

13 Likes

Hurry, Kelly, go campaign closely with Purdue!

12 Likes

I want that on a t-shirt!

2 Likes