2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

i thought they weren’t in the voting pool because they can’t vote unless their fines are paid off, nobody can tell them what they need to pay, and if they vote without paying they go back to prison or jail

catch 22

3 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Edited to add @gatto is right to be concerned. The article linked by @Akimbo_NOT confirms Bloomberg donated and helped raise the money to pay the fines not that any fines have been actually paid with the money raised.
I can’t find any info on how many fines have been successfully paid with the money Bloomberg donated and helped raise. There are issues with felons being able to figure out how much they owe and get that paid. The paperwork is stored differently in each county, sometimes within the same county, mostly on paper records. The counties are dragging their feet on finding peoples’ paperwork. And the state AG has begged the FBI to investigate Bloomberg for “buying votes.” The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, which is the group Bloomberg donated the money to, is working hard. But it takes time and the current powerful in Florida are doing their damndest to make it take even longer.

9 Likes
12 Likes

Pretty far off from estimating the number of jelly beans in a jar or bubbles in a bar of soap. But not all THAT far off.

Voter suppression is voter suppression is voter suppression.

Mainstream media should be covering that and exposing it 24-7, instead of context-free stories about intrepid voters standing in line for hours on end.

14 Likes

There were over a million people re-enfranchised by the ballot measure. 400k or so had no fines or had already paid. Bloomberg’s fundraiser paid the fines of another 30k+. That still leaves about half in limbo.

Edit: corrected my error on the Bloomberg number. Sorry!

6 Likes

19 Likes

Agreed. But I think despite these issues, despite Covid, despite threats of violence, voters seem determined to vote. The long lines here in GA are a huge problem (Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, especially), but this also reflects the utter determination here in the metro area to have our voices heard. If anything it gives me hope, it’s the fact that despite these very obvious tactics to suppress the vote in the Black majority areas of ATL, people aren’t having it and are making sure they can vote.

15 Likes

Fuck yeah, Stacey Abrams!

15 Likes

If Georgia goes blue it will be glorious

12 Likes

I’m confused. I thought that Republicans were the “law and order” party, and that ballot harvesting was supposed to be bad?

12 Likes

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t support, and thereafter publicize, Republicans being caught cheating, too, simply to prove it is a “broken” system and the results can’t be trusted.

This is that kind of effort. I think they would love it if the Democrats sued because of this, and helped them hold up the election results as long as possible, and destroy the public’s confidence in the election process.

4 Likes

They’re just proving how broken the system is, see. Like when I robbed that bank, I was just proving how lax their security was. People ought to be thanking me.

15 Likes

Roger that!

4 Likes

He does know he not running against Hillary, right?

9 Likes

21 Likes

“Harris suspends travel after staffer tests COVID-19 positive” (until Monday)

Dammit

11 Likes

Just saw that. Almost unavoidable.

And now the Trumpists are all posting about how this proves masks don’t work and Trump is right. :man_facepalming:

13 Likes

I’m starting to think that in his mind, the fight against Obama and HRC never ends. When are those powerful meds he’s been taking supposed to wear off? Maybe we could look forward to another day or two where nobody hears from him. :pleading_face:

14 Likes