2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

And yet…

8 Likes

Not sure where else to put this… Lines again:

I will note that the local public radio station was live from State Farm Arena, and the lines at the beginning of the day cleared up quickly.

9 Likes

Just a wild guess, but the lines were seen mostly in areas frequented by minority voters, eh?

9 Likes

Seems to be so far? They mention a big first day turn out in generally red Floyd County in the district where that Qanon lady is running, but that part of the district voted for her primary opponent compared to more rural parts of that district. . They did not mention how long the lines were. One long line they showed was in Gwinnett (which is about to flip) and the guy that Melissa Block tweeted looks like he was in the city proper.

Trying to find a local story for Floyd, but the only one I can find is the local paper that’s paywalled.

11 Likes
9 Likes

I think we all know there should be scare quotes around the word “Billionaire.”

9 Likes

Split…that…vote!
Split…that…vote!
Split…that…vote!
Yay!!! :woman_cartwheeling:

3 Likes

Better take more steroids, Donnie!

6 Likes

“Yet” ?

10 Likes

I wonder about the finer grained details, especially likely electoral votes. There’s too much reporting of polls, too little of what the electoral map is looking like.

Is Biden really in any better shape than HRC was at this point?

5 Likes

Yes. Definitely.

1. HRC and DJT traded the overall lead several times during the run-up to the 2016 election. AT NO POINT has DJT had a lead over Biden. The closest composite poll point was about 8 points difference. It’s now double that.

2. States that weren’t even in play in 2016 are now swing states. Iowa, Texas, Arizona, Georgia could go either way. States that were swing states in 2016 (Nevada, Wisconsin, Colorado) are solid blue in 2020.

3. Florida still has variability, but if there’s no huge swing, the fact that 600k+ newly-enfranchised former felons are in the voting pool is a big advantage for Biden. Trump has no path to victory without Florida. Or Texas. If he loses either one, it’s curtains.

10 Likes

i thought they weren’t in the voting pool because they can’t vote unless their fines are paid off, nobody can tell them what they need to pay, and if they vote without paying they go back to prison or jail

catch 22

3 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Edited to add @gatto is right to be concerned. The article linked by @Akimbo_NOT confirms Bloomberg donated and helped raise the money to pay the fines not that any fines have been actually paid with the money raised.
I can’t find any info on how many fines have been successfully paid with the money Bloomberg donated and helped raise. There are issues with felons being able to figure out how much they owe and get that paid. The paperwork is stored differently in each county, sometimes within the same county, mostly on paper records. The counties are dragging their feet on finding peoples’ paperwork. And the state AG has begged the FBI to investigate Bloomberg for “buying votes.” The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, which is the group Bloomberg donated the money to, is working hard. But it takes time and the current powerful in Florida are doing their damndest to make it take even longer.

9 Likes
12 Likes

Pretty far off from estimating the number of jelly beans in a jar or bubbles in a bar of soap. But not all THAT far off.

Voter suppression is voter suppression is voter suppression.

Mainstream media should be covering that and exposing it 24-7, instead of context-free stories about intrepid voters standing in line for hours on end.

14 Likes

There were over a million people re-enfranchised by the ballot measure. 400k or so had no fines or had already paid. Bloomberg’s fundraiser paid the fines of another 30k+. That still leaves about half in limbo.

Edit: corrected my error on the Bloomberg number. Sorry!

6 Likes

19 Likes

Agreed. But I think despite these issues, despite Covid, despite threats of violence, voters seem determined to vote. The long lines here in GA are a huge problem (Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Cobb, especially), but this also reflects the utter determination here in the metro area to have our voices heard. If anything it gives me hope, it’s the fact that despite these very obvious tactics to suppress the vote in the Black majority areas of ATL, people aren’t having it and are making sure they can vote.

15 Likes