2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Maybe you’re right. I just can’t see the benefit for the lifetime Republican politicians in Congress. They have to think to the future, not just four or eight years. SCOTUS is a sideshow for them, and the real meat is getting things done for their masters and the river of money they navigate. Deadlock makes them useless.

If you look at political donations this time around, I think they are starting to feel the fire tickling their feet already. McConnell and Graham both came out on the shitty end of the stick financially in this election. McGrath and Harrison both cleared 50 million bucks in donations. Graham stooped to begging for cash on Fox News. If Trump wins they might get a second wind, but I think you’re looking at the end of their Thousand Year Reich, and soon.

they filled it as soon as trump nominated gorsuch.

5 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

10 Likes

I didn’t know he had this channel, it’s really well done.

6 Likes

Bingo. Every library and state, city, or county office has one here.

9 Likes

sorry that you’ve had to deal with that in your life. i was raised in church and could never understand how humans could have more empathy than the old testament god the church liked to carry on about. not to mention the magical thinking about scientific facts.

i know not all branches of christianity are that way, but for me as well, enough was enough. if the best people can come up for with for a god is something to keep people down and make them feel miserable about themselves and others, who needs it?

6 Likes

I know that “momentum” isn’t really a real thing when it comes to polls, and I sure don’t want to jinx it, but it would be really nice if we could manage to maintain this trend line for the next few weeks:

Although even a 110% chance of a Trump loss wouldn’t really be enough for my comfort.

11 Likes

Voter registration in Philly suburbs.

10 Likes

It’s all the same root cause, though. The wedge issues themselves aren’t the actual tenets of any religion at all; they were invented from whole cloth by TPTB in particular religious in order to maintain power and prestige while religion as a whole saw declining relevance in the modern world.

In other words, the wedge issues themselves aren’t religious; they have always been political, but were wrapped in a cloak of religiosity to obscure that they are just a power grab.

8 Likes

New oxymoron: Broke Billionaire.

12 Likes

Trump is losing women in PA by 23%.

“ And no other topic seems to confound them more uniformly than their willingness to look past Trump’s sexist and misogynistic remarks during the 2016 campaign, the allegations of sexual misconduct against him (which the President denies) and the Access Hollywood tape.

“I look at myself and I think, how could I do that?” Smeltzer asked herself.

“I feel like I did a disservice to women by voting for this guy,” Brady added.”

“ Geitner says the single issue that drove her to vote for Trump in 2016 was the economy.

“I thought if we have a strong economy that’s good for everybody, that’s good for jobs.” She said she never recalls actually liking Trump. “He’s not that likable.”

“ Geitner says the tipping point for her was the pandemic and the police killing of George Floyd.

“With the pandemic, with the social unrest, I would say the whole ceiling caved in. And that was my ‘a ha moment’ that this is not OK. I’m not OK with this,” Geitner said.

“When I read that he was begging for his mom, as a mother myself, it just brought me to my knees,” she added. “Sadly, it took his killing for things to make sense for me. I recognized my own white privilege. I recognize that – I work with and know women, Black women, who are mothers who have to have conversations with their kids that I will never have to have with my kids. And that was powerful for me. And to see what’s happened since, I feel like he’s added fuel to the flames of hatred. And that really bothers me.”

12 Likes

Helps explain why his lickspittles are begging me for money. I’ve voted the spoiler a few times in our open primaries - never in the actual election.

They’re stupid desperate for cash.

9 Likes

How did someone with this much self-awareness ever vote for Turmp in the first place?

10 Likes

This is why women who voted for 45 keep getting the side-eye from the rest of us. Some say they didn’t want to be expected to vote for Clinton just because she was a woman. Others say they didn’t like the idea of Clinton-era baggage or they wanted an outsider. It’s always excuses and apologetic statements during the interviews, but too often a different story in the voting booth.

I’ll be interested to see the actual number of women who crossed party lines to vote for the Biden/Harris ticket after the election is over.

11 Likes

20 Likes

Not sure what he’s going for here - maybe running for Pope of a new religion? Nice Death Star though.

8 Likes

I’m not saying misogyny because that can’t be true.

10 Likes

I wonder if Chris Christie, when preparing Trump for debate, included any advice on how to address questions about his own death from the COVID that Trump callously gave him. Like,

"Okay, if you give me COVID and I die, don’t ever say my name again because it will just remind people of the price people are paying for your COVID response. If asked directly about me by a reporter keep your answer short. ‘My thoughts are with the family.’ Don’t come to my funeral. And if my wife or children start accusing you of killing me, threaten to sue them, villify them in public, and start talking about how shitty I was. Bring up bridgegate and imply my family was complicit in that.

After all, I wouldn’t want you killing me to harm your chances of re-election."

9 Likes

Some good news on the religious front?

12 Likes

"because of a cut fiber cable"

14 Likes