2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Thx, @Kii. Reading the bug thread, i am certain that I had inadvertently done just as you describe in the How To Reproduce This Error comment.

3 Likes

From the relevant article section:

Russia Seeks to Weaken Ukraine Morale: Intelligence Report (2:26 p.m.)
Moscow has drawn up plans for ways to break morale in order to discourage Ukrainian from fighting back as and when cities fall under the Kremlin’s control, a European intelligence official said.
That strategy includes crackdowns on protests, detention of opponents, and potentially carrying out public executions, the official said on the condition of anonymity. So far civilians in Ukraine as well as its military have put up strong resistance, including arming themselves as volunteer forces.

22 Likes

The trick of getting ahead of this sort of news so that Ukrainians and the world see what might be coming next is an extraordinary one. Keep on keeping on, Russian leakers.

17 Likes

Because that’s what you need to do when you “liberate” a country.

22 Likes
30 Likes

If true (as I fear it is), it’s more evidence that Putin’s stated mission to “de-Nazify” Ukraine contains a typo in the first letter.

27 Likes

How far are the Russians from Nazi-style reprisals?

16 Likes
15 Likes

He might like to leave behind a rump western Ukraine, hoping that it will be dominated by the far right so as to provide retrospective justification for invading.

7 Likes
24 Likes
10 Likes
18 Likes

This obviously triggers comparisons with Nazis, though the closer analogy is the Soviets under Stalin. During the guerilla anti-Soviet resistance in the Baltic states that lasted almost a decade after WW2, it was standard practice for NKVD to publicly execute captured fighters in town squares, leaving their bodies there, and then arrest any relatives that came to mourn them.

18 Likes
12 Likes

Do you have a link to this discussion? Sounds like something worth reading.

3 Likes

For my friends in Moldova and Ukraine…

Praying I Hope GIF by The Paley Center for Media

20 Likes
7 Likes

Or even a scene from Dr Zhivago:

14 Likes
5 Likes
18 Likes