2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Has Putin grown a Hitler ‘stache yet?

6 Likes

You are aware that this is not what the Ukrainian people have in mind when they hear about joining the EU?

What you suggest might work in the long term. Start now, arrive there 2050. Maybe. If the criteria are met.

Which include a low level of corruption, AFAIK. According even to media which are very positive on the matter, corruption is rampant in Ukraine. And any large infrastructure project is basically guaranteed to attract more corruption… :frowning:

I simply don’t see Ukraine joining the EU any time soon. Maybe not even in my lifetime. And this is enough for Russia, I would bet. Especially because they would have a lot of time to further destabilise the EU. We’re not even done with Brexit, and the V4 aren’t done with their work as well…

5 Likes

Clearly not, because Russia invaded before Ukraine had any sort of roadmap for EU membership. As Putin has made very clear in his rambling speeches, it’s not EU or NATO that is his problem - it’s the mere fact that Ukraine exists as an independent country, outside of direct control from Russia.

15 Likes
12 Likes

This was on a German talk show, Hart aber fair. I hope I was clear that I was paraphrasing, and interpreting?

The ex-military in question is Hans Lothar Domröse, by the way.

Here is a article about the discussion (in German, deepl or gtranslate might help).

Here is another one with more indirect quotes, but a slightly different perspective.

And another one, another angle.

Each one a little more hyperventilating, I think.

FTR, I refuse even to read the article at Springer’s Die Welt or the magazine-slash-tabloid Der FOCUS. NO CLICKS and NO ADREVENUE from me, thank you very much.

5 Likes

I think you’re looking at it the wrong way.

Zelenskyy and his administration were elected on a platform of reform, fighting corruption and pulling towards Europe. Ukraine has been on that path before, that is what Euromaidan was fundamentally about.

Much of the corruption (obviously not all though) is tied to pro-Russian factions, Oligarchs and influence. Much of the hold up in the past has been that corruption and that back and forth between Europe or Russia.

With both the EU and Ukraine now pretty well committed, the process formally started. You’re basically looking at everyone saying this stuff will be done.

A lot of people in countries like Ukraine seem to view pursuing EU membership as a pathway to these reforms. It comes with a framework, it comes with support, it comes with specifics.

Obviously there’s a lot of work to be done, and there’s a big ole war in the way. But that is kind of the point, the work end of it is what these people were hoping for and what they were elected to do. And they’ve in part been invaded for it.

20 Likes
11 Likes

I found this analysis of the current Russian strategy pretty good. Delivered by former US infantryman whose channel often analyzes world militarizes and he is speaking as someone who as studied Russian tactics.

It explains why the convoy to Kyiv seems stalled, but isn’t necessarily, And the tactic they are going to employ by encircling and cutting the city off.

I think it is a good listen to sort of temper expectations over the next few weeks. This conflict is not going to be over for awhile. And even though Ukraine is holding their own, Russia has a history of taking what many would consider “unacceptable” casualty rates in the pursuit of objective.

YMMV

7 Likes

Now, that’s funny. Even if unintentionally so.

But in both of these cases - assholes gonna asshole.

21 Likes

WaPo both-sides-ism.

10 Likes
8 Likes

That old soak Julie Burchill can barely stand up, let alone stand with Ukraine.

21 Likes

The high level conclusion in that video is regrettably one I think most people paying attention realize, but don’t want to talk about: Without outside military help or some other unexpected turn like Putin getting overthrown, Ukraine will fall to Russia.

I can’t find it now, but BBC did actually nail the remote shelling location being set up now ~24km away. There was something I was reading last night about it.

10 Likes

I’ll chip in to have her travel to and stay next to those trans women who are trapped in Kyiv and aren’t allowed to leave the country.

She can show us all what true bravery is. She’ll have to find her own booze and food.

27 Likes

I feel like this would be a great way to get your officer corps shot by your new conscript force. The average conscript can believe that maybe if they do their service and spend their time then they have a good chance of going home. Any protestor forced into combat knows they are only there to die for an unjust cause, what do they have to loose at that point?

7 Likes

The transphobes are really showing how truly infected with brainworms they all are when they keep bringing this anti-trans shit up in the context of the war. It’s transphobia all the way down.

25 Likes

who controls DJI’s geofencing?

3 Likes

“I was hoping for something…larger.”

10 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes