2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

You read my mind.

9 Likes
15 Likes

Also important to remember how much of an advantage the defenders have in any battle. As Ukraine tries to regain territory, it switches from defense to offense and loses that advantage. Of course, the logistical SNAFU that is the Russian quartermaster’s corps (or whatever their equivalent is) remains, and I don’t know how much that will spike their efforts. But it will be very different. After the revelations of the last week, though, I suspect there will by much more determined resistance from behind the Russian lines, and much more ruthless efforts to suppress it. To be short, this is going to get very ugly.

22 Likes

You mean ‘really old and after a lifetime of grift and power’? No thanks! Hurry that shit up!

12 Likes
16 Likes

IMO, we really need to create some sort of “Flying Tigers” unit. (Flying Tractors? The Nightingales?).

Create an all volunteer force of current or retired but still flying NATO pilots and support crew. Have them officially resign their position if active duty. Have them officially join the Ukrainian military, and then have them deliver and fly recently de-commissioned donated NATO jets with Ukrainian markings.

This will give the Ukrainians war materials and specialized personnel needed to keep command of the sky and allow them to be effective in the up coming counter attack in the east.

While Ukraine has done well with what they have, attrition means they are going to run out of both equipment and people to be effective if the war goes on long enough. Russia has suffered heavier than expected losses, but they can lost longer with attrition because they started with more.

With the pull out and refortifying the East, Russia will start to play a more defensive role, and that is going to be much harder for the Ukrainians to engage in a more conventional warfare. Being able to break lines and hit bases with air strikes is vital.

There will be some grey areas they will need to sort out first. They might make it clear they won’t directly strike outside of Ukraine, unless say a SAM battery inside of Russia is painting targets. And then it is open season on those SAM units.

I understand this is a level of escalation, but considering Russia is literally doing genocide right now, I think it is worth giving this targeted support. Unlike a NATO enforced no fly zone, theses units would technically still be Ukrainian. The world can not sit on their hands and tut Russia while Genocide is actively happening.

I also hope we have some Special Forces advisors in Ukraine right now. Even if it is “clandestine”. Clearly, we can’t and shouldn’t be advertising if they are there, but I hope so.

1 Like

and

For sure. One is that “recently decommissioned” jets are generally “non-working” jets. Getting them running again, if even possible, requires a full maintenance crew with training on those specific aircraft, and access to spare parts and diagnostic equipment. These aren’t P-40s.

And, as the Japanese did with the Flying Tigers, the Russians aren’t going to look at the swarming NATO jets with recently-retired USAF/NATO pilots and say “Oh, look! Ukrainians.” They will, as the Japanese did, see this is a provocation and we would have to be prepared for them to respond accordingly.

For all of its mythology, it’s important to remember that the Flying Tigers didn’t enter into combat operations until almost two weeks after the Pearl Harbor attacks, when the US was already at war with the Japanese Empire.

16 Likes

A sensible, doable first step would be to hold an exceptional one-off vote to allow majority voting in the security council on specifically Ukraine-related issues and override Russia’s inevitable veto. The rule change could be ratified by the anti-Russia two-thirds majority that already exists in the general assembly. If Putin didn’t like it, he could lump it. And if he didn’t comply with subsequent resolutions – for example, on withdrawing Russian forces – all UN members would be expected to support UN-agreed punitive measures, as in the case of North Korea.

14 Likes

His views on foreign policy were designed to shock. He outlined them in a 1995 book, The Last Break Southward. Russia should extend its reach to the shores of the Indian Ocean and Mediterranean, he wrote. Russia would rule the space “from Kabul to Istanbul”. “This is really the solution for the salvation of the Russian nation,” he wrote. He later advocated the forcible seizure from the US of Alaska, which would then become “a great place to put the Ukrainians”. He called for ethnic Russians to break away from Estonia and Latvia and recommended the use of tactical nuclear weapons against Chechnya.

15 Likes

Well, when I say “recently decommissioned”, it is because on paper they were recently decommissions and given away. They should be viable, working jets (otherwise, what is the point). But they could be older models of F-16s and F-15s or even Mirages or Tornadoes, which would then have new orders to replace them with updated jets.

If spread out over all of NATO, you could create a force with out compromising any one nation.

Oh they are free to try. I don’t expect them to NOT try to shoot them down, just like they are trying with the Ukrainians now.

And if Putin can play word games with “special operations” and “filtration camps”, the West can play those same word games with “decommissioned planes” and “foreign legions within the Ukrainian military”.

That is true, but that is also partly due to coincidence. The organization took months to get pilots, planes, materials, and training up to active duty. The US didn’t know it was going to enter the war when it did. Had they not already had the Flying Tigers started, they wouldn’t have started missions 2 weeks after the declaration of war.

5 Likes

Thesis:

Antithesis:

16 Likes

THIS! NOW!

8 Likes

The British politician George Galloway has threatened legal action against Twitter after the social media website flagged his account as “Russia state-affiliated media”.

He had been regular fixture on the Russia Today news channel for many years.

He wrote:

Dear @TwitterSupport I am not “Russian State Affiliated media”. I work for NO #Russian media.

I have 400,000 followers. I’m the leader of a British political party and spent nearly 30 years in the British parliament.

If you do not remove this designation I will take legal action.

George Galloway is a boil on the arse of humanity.

I hope he sues and gets laughed out of court.

25 Likes

A very good read, thank you.

6 Likes

carol kane sometimes the truth is painful frank GIF

14 Likes
13 Likes

Simo says, “Come on over, friend.”

7 Likes

previously

14 Likes
11 Likes

I know it sounds crazy, but I kind of wish they could tap that guy who showed off his homemade super-laser (featured here on BoingBoing at some point). Point that thing at some petrol trucks and let 'er rip.

10 Likes