2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Police are looking for a bodybuilder with burns, possibly pushing a car with one wheel

20 Likes

[Operation Menu]

TIL:

For the next eight days the [Congressional] committee listened to the testimony of administration officials and the JCS, who tried to justify their actions. The committee uncovered excuses and deceptions that were perhaps more alarming than those occurring simultaneously in the Watergate hearings.

Conyers introduced a motion of impeachment against Nixon regarding the bombing of Cambodia on the floor of the House on 30 July 1974, which was not taken up as the House was fully engaged in the Watergate scandal at the time.

10 Likes
22 Likes

Russia’s IT brain drain continues. What techie wants to live in a pariah state with no future?

Meanwhile in Ukraine, techies who have a country worth fighting for stay put and get creative.

21 Likes

Just join your brother and die already, evil piece of shit.

31 Likes

As noted earlier, doing business with fascist and authoritarian regimes is an old family tradition with the Kochs. They’d like to get back to it ASAP without those bothersome sanctions slowing things down.

32 Likes

Wow. That is an amazing read. Thanks for digging that up. Incredible analysis.

15 Likes

Well, I know that when actual neo-nazi skinhead gangs formed in East Germany in the 80s, the government ignored them because they were fighting with the punks, many of whom had anarchist proclivities and they believed was the real threat… :woman_shrugging: That tracks… It’s possible that they fully believed their own “anti-nazi” hype, at least some probably did. Others likely understood that denazification ground to a halt early on in the occupation and then just got absorbed by the new communist state.

18 Likes
18 Likes

I remember last year when vtuber agencies banned people from sending their talents physical items out of concern about stalkers sending items having airtags hidden on them

Her russian fans took the ban pretty poorly last year tho haha

17 Likes

Good. That toxic sludge of fascism and Stalinism poured into a skinsuit was at one time thought to be a future dictator of Russia. Once the oligarachs handed that power to Putin, Zhirinovsky fell naturally into the role of a far-right “opposition” leader in Russia’s sham democracy (while basically backing every Putin policy). One way or another, as Russia sinks into full fascism, his usefulness to the regime was over.

15 Likes

Given how his ideas have become mainstream, he must also have served as a trial balloon launcher and Overton window mover.

14 Likes

Way to condescend to a well read history professor, yo.

12 Likes

No Idea Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

11 Likes

It well may be I’m missing some english nuances (not my native language) but I fail to see how is condescending. Anyway, if is offensive I will remove it.

1 Like

If you write something like that as a reply, then it looks as if you meant to tell her.

4 Likes

The suspects targeted on Wednesday were believed to belong to the far-right martial arts group Knockout 51, the banned Combat 18, named after the order in the alphabet of Adolf Hitler’s initials, the US-based Atomwaffen Division or the online propaganda group Sonderkommando 1418.

14 Likes

Just to clarify: the visible neo-Nazis were and are the tip of the icebergs. In the 90s, “normal” citizens were part of the mobs which attacked the homes of refugees with Molotov cocktails. During the height of PEGIDA, huge mass demonstrations took place. And the neofascist AfD has strong support in some communities.

One narrative in the German radical antifa is that Nazism runs deep in Germany because it never was properly "de-nazified. If you assume this POV, then someone who has, necessarily, a narrow-minded, biased and ahistoric perspective can argue in the way outlined in this terrible RIA Novosty piece. I can imagine a mind of a ruler where this leads to a war like the one we observe now.

What I cannot really imagine today is a whole population of people believing this kind of shit. And this is me, born and raised in Germany, where it happened before.

This is chilling. Really chilling.

18 Likes

He will not be missed. The man had absolutely no redeeming features; he was all-around awful.

8 Likes

“Why can’t I die like Zhirinovsky?”

incredulous what are you doing GIF

15 Likes