2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

This is a lengthy and stark piece of journalism. Among other things, it charts how attitudes to the Russians changed.

This is a place where a decade ago, people had mostly good things to say about Russia, which is just a short drive away and where many people have friends and family. Now they competed to heap insults on the neighbours that had brought misery upon them. “Barbarians!” “Pigs!” “Bastards!”

14 Likes
11 Likes

Meanwhile in India…

De-dollarisation on Cards

Ironically, in war between Russia and Ukraine, U.S. dollar may be the loser as nations realise the importance of diversifying forex reserves. Expulsion of Russia from SWIFT financial system and the decision to freeze Russian foreign exchange by U.S. and its allies have laid bare the glaring risks associated with dollar hegemony for central banks across the world.

What if Russia’s financial system survives via a new Financial System? India? China?

19 Likes
19 Likes
15 Likes

Anonymous supposedly leaked Russian Central Bank info a while back and so far nothing has been revealed.

13 Likes

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky addressed the UN security council, accusing Russia of committing the worst crimes since World War Two.

Fucking bad but worst?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-syria-security-turkey-delponte-idUSKBN1X508S

Etc.

18 Likes
8 Likes

Hitler’s ghost still walks among us.

7 Likes
9 Likes
3 Likes

A human translated version is here:

11 Likes
20 Likes

In regards to the RIA Novosty piece, I have the chilling impression that this is a direct reaction to the collapse of the GDR, the development in Western Germany before that since the second WW, and what happened after the German re-unification.

I can easily imagine that this was written by a true believer who is also very familiar with German domestic politics and the German populace of some areas. Someone like Putin, who was stationed in Dresden during the fall of the Berlin Wall, and who perhaps has thus first-hand experience of the thinking in that region, might come to such a conclusion if he (or she) believes that Ukraine is in a similar development.

FTR: If you don’t know what I am talking about, I think some mutants who are German or have been living there for a long time (including me) can answer your questions. In short, one could argue that in the West, Nazism was never purged, and in the East, it just went private. And the results were pogrom-like riots and murders in the 90s, the rise of PEGIDA, and the neofascists from AfD in parliaments.

18 Likes
19 Likes

Worst that Russia has done, maybe?

4 Likes

Maybe but…

and assorted other breaches of the law of war.

That bit made me nauseous.

15 Likes
20 Likes

I just thought this through. Threw. Burning. Tires. That, my friend, is some serious determination!

23 Likes
14 Likes