2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

On this absurd definition, where Nazis have to be Ukrainians and Ukrainians have to be Nazis, Russia cannot be fascist, no matter what Russians do. This is very convenient. If “Nazi” has been assigned the meaning “Ukrainian who refuses to be Russian” then it follows that no Russian can be a Nazi. Since for the Kremlin being a Nazi has nothing to do with fascist ideology, swastika-like symbols, big lies, rallies, rhetoric of cleansings, aggressive wars, abductions of elites, mass deportations, and the mass killing of civilians, Russians can do all of these things without ever having to ask if they themselves on the wrong side of the historical ledger. And so we find Russians implementing fascist policies in the name of “denazification.”

22 Likes

The Moscow Victory Parade this year may look a little different

21 Likes

Haven’t read the thread yet, but this missile is marked “for the children” on it. :frowning:

ETA - since I can’t read Russian, I did a Google translate, and can confirm it says “children” at the end.

for the children = для детей

ETA 2 - GF says it says “за детей” - which google translates to “for the children”.

19 Likes

Good God…

20 Likes

…said the people who keep Hunter Biden’s name going on and on in conservative circles…

17 Likes

One possible explanation I’ve seen claimed is that the full phrase is probably “For the children of the Donbas”. From: English Luhansk (@loogunda): ""The remnants of the Russian missile that hit the Kramatorsk station have the inscription 'for the children'. Russian troops often write on their missiles 'For the children of the Donbas'. This missile killed at least two children"" | nitter.it

11 Likes
13 Likes

Preposition “за” means “for” in the sense of “revenge for” or “in the name of”, whereas if you wanted “for” in the sense of “addressed to” you would use “для”. So yes, “for the [revenge of] children of Donbas” is probably the intent. Which still doesn’t make sense because Kramatorsk is in Donbas, it is part of the Donetsk region whose “protection” is the official excuse for the war. Killing children of Donbas to avenge the killing of children of Donbas.

20 Likes

It will be referring to children in the separatist “republics” allegedly killed by Ukrainian shelling.

5 Likes

Well yes, but the “republics” are claiming the entire territories of the administrative regions of Donetsk and Luhansk. People in Kramatorsk are supposedly natural citizens of the DPR under temporary “nazi” Ukrainian rule, so punishing them doesn’t make sense even within the propaganda mindset.

6 Likes

Another interpretation I saw (but can’t find now) is that it means Russian children who will grow up in a peaceful world after Nazi Ukraine has been eliminated.

EDIT:
Found it.

12 Likes

That reminds me of this phrase:

11 Likes

Have they never argued with Tankies? The Soviet Union/Russia cannot be imperialist, because only capitalism can be imperialist (ruling out the Roman empires, China, the Rashidun/Umayyad/Abbasid/Fatimid Caliphates, The British Empire for most of it’s existence…)

This means that the invasions of Ukraine are in no way imperialist.

I don’t know if my headaches are from following the mental gymnastics, or from banging my head against the wall for arguing with stupid. I don’t think I am important enough for the Putin Blend tea. (I am actually getting stress headaches because of this war, TERF Island, and Republicans who really are Nazis)

21 Likes

Not sure that makes it any better. Is Tobias Funke coming up with these slogans?

Kramatorsk is >25% Russian, and 67% Russian speakers. So they are still killing the Russians they are claiming they want to “liberate”.

Thanks for the linguistic nuance.

8 Likes

The Russians have discovered that most people in Ukraine are anti-Russia and therefore Nazis. They can still be redeemed if they learn to love the Motherland, but they must suffer first.

The Banderite elites must be eliminated; their re-education is impossible. The social “bog,” which has actively and passively supported them through action and inaction, must go through the hardships of war and internalize the lived experience as a historical lesson and the redemption of its guilt. Those who didn’t support the Nazi regime and suffered from it and the war it started in Donbas must be consolidated and organized, must become the backbone of the new authorities, their vertical and horizontal framework. History has shown that the tragedies and dramas of the war time benefit the peoples who were tempted and carried away by their role as the enemy of Russia.
What should Russia do with Ukraine? [Translation of a propaganda article by a Russian publication] | by Mariia Kravchenko | Medium

9 Likes

This is the real problem, going forward. If/when Ukraine prevails, the Russians will be left with a country on their border that they have painted as Nazis, and that they have painted as a breakaway province. It will be food for the ultra-nationalists for decades to come.

18 Likes

I understand the propaganda, but the fact remains they are killing the people the claim for the reason for all this. Which is ironic. But since we know it was all bullshit, it’s just bullshit.

8 years ago it may have been different, but Donbass has soured on the Russians due to the Russian backed para-military thugs who control the area.

12 Likes

It’s a constant battle to reinterpret reality so that the big lie still stands.

11 Likes

Well, being who she is (and she has shown us who she is, many times) those are easy words that attempt to placate … meanwhile she carries on as before, doing nothing about it, until the next time she gets called out on it. Rinse and repeat.

She is a nasty, vicious, thick-as-two-short-planks, Boris-Brexit, ‘all immigrants are bad’, Cabinet place-filler.

13 Likes

Germany has made a contribution to the international community:

By the way, Blair and Schröder definitely are Putinversteher.

14 Likes