2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

10 Likes

I agree, and Damn it, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a military analyst! ( :wink:) I don’t interpret this as saying that the Russians will collapse, but that they will become increasingly ineffective, as well as deperate. Considering where they are currently, that’s pretty damning. Honestly i expect more targetting of civilians and residential areas to try to break the morale of the populace. From what we have seen of Ukranians so far, i also expect that to not work. But there will be lots of martyrs created, as well as orphans. A bridge too far, i think.

23 Likes
24 Likes

It does seem like the separatist regions could have been annexed without much international fuss - just like Crimea. Would have preserved the notion of shrewd statecraft and we would not be seeing the glaring failures in logistics.

10 Likes

Jesus Christ, they are shelling as civilians are trying to flee during a “ceasefire.”

16 Likes

“Give me everything I want first and then maybe we can talk.”

14 Likes

As if those damned Ukranians should have any say in this! Just leave it to the adults in the room. :face_vomiting:

17 Likes

Finland better put some effort into Russian language news for those that are coming in.
Otherwise, those coming in will still be susceptible to disinformation coming from the Russian state.

Hopefully, they already have some Russian language programming in place already.
Lithuania only just realized the need to provide news in Russian for their Russian speaking population a few years ago so who knows.

7 Likes

17 Likes

People I speak with simply cannot appreciate the scale of their social media manipulation operations.
Individual posts pro this or anti that is one thing but so many eyeballs directed at bad info over time is the more insidious poison.

15 Likes
12 Likes

“I’m going to be that guy again, and regret to report that the recreation of The Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks photo by Ukrainian soldiers that’s going viral is at least five years old.”

It was valid then, and it’s valid now. Russian aggression has been going on the whole time.

18 Likes

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Tsar of Russia.

9 Likes
18 Likes

The big unanswered question: Did the Russian convoy bring hot tubs and bouncy castles?

11 Likes

My first thought was “Did Ted leave his laptop unlocked around his daughter”?

16 Likes

Management at a seized Ukrainian nuclear plant is working at gunpoint, the head of the state-owned nuclear power generator said Friday – while the staff reportedly warned that Russian forces are seeking to “blackmail the whole of Europe” by planting explosives at the site.

“The invaders entered the territory of the nuclear power plant, took control of personnel and management,” Petro Kotin, president of Energoatom, said on Telegram about the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe’s largest.

12 Likes

Is Putin that crazy to jeopardize a big chunk of Russia as West from the west blow fall out East?

8 Likes

It seems that Türkiye’s A400Ms are still stuck in an airport close to Kiyv.

Even Cyprus is saying no to Russia now:

Russian workers in Nizhnekamsk striking out because they are not getting paid anymore:

Now Transnistria is also asking for independence and recognition:

ETA: added another tweet

12 Likes
20 Likes