2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Yeah, I don’t care who she belongs to but for shit like that she should be seized anyway, or at least blocked from docking in any decent harbour

Not only do contractors and crew members sign nondisclosure agreements, as on many superyachts, but the ship also has a cover to hide its name plate. And when it first arrived at the port, workers erected a tall metallic barrier on the pier to partly obscure the yacht from onlookers.

ETA: Sometimes I wonder whether the French have any of the limpet mines left over they used on the Rainbow Warrior…

13 Likes

That’s my worry, especially guided bombs and missiles. They are very expensive compared to say their AA cannon shells, and harder to stockpile due to the cost. But those are the most effective weapons against other air power and specific ground targets. Hopefully they still have enough stock.

Even if they are sent with a full payload, you need more stuff to resupply after sorties. Support needs to be an actual asset, not just a feel good gesture.

Then again, I don’t know how aircraft munitions work. Can US made Sidewinder missiles or Paveway II bombs work on MiGs? Do they share mounts or can with adapters? Can they be launched/used with the onboard systems? I would think there is SOME overlap, as NATO countries have many different flavors of planes and munitions and it appears some NATO countries still use MiGs. But half of the point of NATO was to standardize and help make sure their arms are compatible. That is why most NATO infantry weapons use the same bullets and STANAG magazine, even if the rifles are all different.

3 Likes

Buy them new, here.

9 Likes

ah, but what’s the length of the cartridge?

3 Likes

Poland is a NATO country. Their Mig 29s, almost all of which they received from Germany (which used to be East German ones but were then used by the Luftwaffe for several years as well) have been NATOized. I believe the cannon is indeed still the original one, using Soviet ammunition standards but the missile and bomb rails should all be standardised to NATO ordnance.

12 Likes

Seize them all. Let the invisible hand sort them out.

17 Likes

Worse.

Also, just FTR: did you notice the coup in Burkina Faso?

Political analysts pointed out that the friction between the now-ousted president Roche Marc Christian Kaboré and the now-ruling Paul-Henri Sandaogo Damiba resulted from Damiba pushing for approval of activities of the Wagner group. They want to train the Burkinabé in anti-terror operations and combat against “unconventional” opponents.

In other words: Russia, operating under plausible deniability, has gained a foothold in another African country which used to be quite important in the anti-terrorist operations in Mali as a base for the US and their allies.

This is really, really bad. And I’m speculating that this isn’t just a temporal coincidence.

18 Likes

Apparently, they are going to be deployed to… Germany?

Ok? Ramstein? Why?

Oh. That might actually be a reason. I would bet that quite a bit of supplies are still stored in Germany. Because,

Yeah, and not only should some of the techies still be around somewhere, but maybe also some material.

Still, the same must be true for Poland. Which makes me curious.

Seriously: I have not a good feeling about this.

7 Likes

They’re going to Ramstein because Poland is donating them to the US, not Ukraine. They’re leaving it up to them how to get them to Ukraine.

Probably not a bad idea on their part, because it will be easier for Putin to retaliate against Poland rather than the US.

16 Likes

They will be transferred to US ownership. The US will give them to Ukraine.

15 Likes

WZHF

No change, other than being in today’s paper:

Despite a 9,000-watt signal that can be heard across the region, the message doesn’t appear to be going very far. WZHF doesn’t rank among the top 40 stations in the Washington area in Nielsen’s ratings. But as limited as Sputnik’s audience and likely influence is, its Kremlin connections have lately begun to attract some negative attention.

8 Likes

I think they aren’t. Or at least weren’t in German service. At the time people always kept going on about how great the R-73 was.

7 Likes

Huh, I could have sworn they were. What did NATOization entail then, I wonder?

7 Likes
14 Likes

My nephew, a US Navy fighter pilot, is laughing at this stupid argument probably made up by some 10 year olds playing Risk.

eta

"It is simply not clear to us that there is a substantive rationale for it,” Kirby said. “We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland’s proposal is a tenable one.”

14 Likes
19 Likes

Close to home.

“We are devastated to say that yesterday our dear colleague and friend Tatiana Perebeinis, the chief accountant of SE Ranking, was killed together with her two kids by russian mortar artillery,” SE Ranking wrote Monday on Facebook.

14 Likes
10 Likes

A Russian governor in Siberia has been confronted by angry citizens who blamed him for deploying a local riot police unit to Ukraine to become “cannon fodder”

More evidence they expected the Ukrainian military to crumble, and then just mop up angry citizens with police thugs.

13 Likes

And it’s off again.

6 Likes