2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

11 Likes
13 Likes
15 Likes
13 Likes

Why do I see this going really, epically, nightmare inducing, badly?

23 Likes

See also:

12 Likes

Thread arguing that Marina Ovsyannikova’s protest was a Kremlin propaganda operation:

Thread arguing that it wasn’t:

8 Likes

Waiting for Fucker Failson to weigh in on the first one. That would be the height of stupidity.

13 Likes

The wife and I talk about this all the time, we are okay with government doing things to protect us without us knowing. In other words, can politicians just stfu and let the people who know about wars and diplomacy and nuclear wessels handle things.

I’m okay with presidents making decisions after consulting with people way smarter than me or themselves.

Or, politicians like Graham could just pick up the phone and talk to Biden to voice his concerns in private while showing a unified front in public. Graham is still talking about wanting a no fly zone.

Biden may not be perfect but, my god, what if the last guy was still in office.

13 Likes
11 Likes

This is why it’s always important to mark the tree. The loggers are generally innocent workers. No sense harming people. Spike the tree and them paint it to mark it as spiked.

3 Likes

Paint will only last a few seasons. The spike in the tree could be there for hundreds of years

3 Likes

Yep. Better not to. But if you’re going to, mark it.

2 Likes

But they won’t, because politics for the Republicans is to constantly be contrarian to the Democrats and criticizing every move.

If Obama had told people to take deep breaths of fresh air, you would have people passing out from holding their breathes.

10 Likes

That’s all there is to it, really.

2 Likes

Though one could argue none of those trees should be felled at all.

Recent research shows that intact temperate forests like those in Northern Europe, Ukraine, Russia, and northwestern North America are the most effective zone of carbon sequestration on the planet. The whole world has a vested interest in preventing those forests from being logged.

26 Likes

Exactly. That’s what makes this petro-state’s plan, if true, especially depraved.

16 Likes
12 Likes

That would be a weak argument, in my opinion. Even if the people of Ukraine came to the conclusion that those entire forests needed to be 100% off-limits from any logging in perpetuity, commercial logging isn’t the only reason that trees get felled. In my comment I specifically gave the example of removing dead or diseased trees. Even National Parks where conservation is paramount need to do that from time to time for safety reasons. There are plenty of other non-logging reasons too, like cutting fire roads.

10 Likes

Now that is some next level conspiracy theory stuff.

Haven’t we learned our lesson that all the supposed 4D chess is just dumb luck and clumsy attempts that somehow work?

13 Likes