2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

latest

10 Likes
12 Likes

Short thread. Wagner-linked milbloggers are defending Lapin against Kadyrov’s complaints.

18 Likes

glad that’s all cleared up

14 Likes
7 Likes

That actually looks a lot like a…field expedient… version of the “Rhino Passive Infrared Defeat System” that the US started using when IEDs became a real menace in Afghanistan. Just a heat source mounted on a boom; but against IEDs with simple IR triggers it had the virtue of making the explosively formed penetrator pass in front of you rather than through you.

Sound enough in principle against unsophisticated IR triggers; but what I don’t know is how many, if any, of the IR-guided missiles you have to worry about now count as ‘unsophisticated’ for the purposes of just blindly locking on to an IR source that is reasonably strong but entirely the wrong shape. IR camera resolution remains kind of garbage(the Javelin apparently has a 64x64 pixel sensor; though sample rate and details of signal processing witchcraft are not the subjects of candid public discussion); but my (very much layman’s) understanding is that just chasing the strongest heat source was only ever viable in anti-air, where that source is normally a vulnerable and important engine; with elaborations to counter flares beginning not long after IR guidance itself.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Being nice worked for :canada: in WWII. There was a small uprising that led to the Battle of Bowmanville, the only action against enemy soldiers on :canada: soil. I recall hearing an interview with one of the prisoners who said they were convinced the Canadians were going to machine gun them all down, and was very grateful that it was mostly settled in a “fair fight”.

17 Likes

Russian sympathizer and US traitor Gosar licking Putin’s taint again:

11 Likes

Gilbert Gottfried What An Asshole GIF

13 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

I’m sure Merrick Garland will get right on it :roll_eyes:

14 Likes
13 Likes
10 Likes

The GOP cutting aid to Ukraine on his behest if it wins is as inevitable as winter arriving in the northern hemisphere next month.

13 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes