2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

According to a reply, the identity cards in the video are hunters’ gun licences.

13 Likes

Is anyone else slightly puzzled by the “30 years of peace” the commentator referred to?

That covers two wars in Chechnya, an invasian of Georgia, war with Ukraine at some level of intensity since 2014, and an ongoing involvement in Syria since 2015.

I’ve read that domestic support for war is quite robust so long as it stays on the scale of televised entertainment, I suppose that this is what it looks like in practice.

12 Likes

Short thread in the replies:

9 Likes

An armed society is a polite society. /s

9 Likes

(Probably stolen from Ukraine.)

12 Likes

The value of Finland’s imports from Russia was 257 million euros in September. Compared to September of last year, imports have shrunk by 66 percent, according to preliminary data from Finnish Customs.

Helsingin Sanomat writes that there are now more than 80 percent fewer Finnish companies importing goods from Russia than there were a year ago.

8 Likes

I guess the Pope does shit in the woods.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Story mentions two sunken nuclear submarines which were going to be part of the cleanup, but Norway also wanted a third included. From 2020:

7 Likes
10 Likes

I think there might be a pattern here.

17 Likes

Russian propagandists are once again complaining that Russia is “too kind” and isn’t bombing Ukrainian civilians hard enough:

Nothing new there, though this line by Simonyan caught my attention: “If you’re afraid of the Hague, stay out of the forest”. I’d like to see her unpack the mixed metaphor and spell out to the audience, in detail, what kind of a “forest” Russia has wandered into which makes the International Court of Justice at the Hague a concern.

11 Likes

Interesting, though, that the tenor is openly acknowledging the possibility of defeat.

8 Likes

It was just a sudden, acute, fatal case of defenestrationitis. It could happen to anyone.

(Note: I have no idea whether it was a window, but that suspicion is rather the point of the article, no?)

8 Likes

Maybe the Katyn forest.

10 Likes

how much of this shit are they gonna put up with

putin is not immortal either

10 Likes

From the article:
“Makei was holding open the window of opportunity for establishing a dialogue with the West"

So, death by metaphor?

14 Likes

What’s simultaneously impressive and pathetic is how the possibility of losing a discretionary foreign war is being talked about as though there were an unprovoked surprise invasion going on, in the other direction; and they are attempting to remain stoic in the studio as the bogeymen of Azov battalion draw within hours of Moscow.

I’d call them masters of projection; except for force projection, that one not so much.

8 Likes

Hopefully different crews from the ones that were sent to fix Puerto Rico’s grid.

9 Likes

The prices of the subscription and the terminals for Starlink are being increased in Ukraine.

7 Likes