2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

I replied to the wrong post, sorry.

1 Like

Weird that Discourse didn’t provide me a warning.

1 Like

The level of self-delusion in Putin’s conditions for peace talks is stunning. He might have had reason to believe that the West would go all Chamberlain before he invaded Ukrainian territory, but it’s been more than nine months since that assumption was put to rest.

21 Likes

As is often the case with these things, this is probably more a message to Russians and wary friends in China and Iran than to the west.

14 Likes
10 Likes

Yup. General Winter is only on your side if you’re the ones providing your soldiers with adequate boots and warm socks and shit.

13 Likes

Any talks that cede territory would reward russia for all the atrocities they have committed and are committing currently. It pains me to think of what is happening to civilians still living under russian control and what hardships they have to endure. Talks should be of reparations owed to Ukraine after russia leaves.

edit - changed some wording for better clarity

15 Likes

11 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

I read that as Poutined yet it still works.

10 Likes

(source)

In French, Russian president Vladimir Putin’s surname is spelled “Poutine”, with the two having identical pronunciation.[129][130] The similarity has been a source of confusion; in commenting on the Talking to Americans prank on Bush, Washington Post columnist Al Kamen mistakenly believed that Mercer’s fictional Jean Poutine was a reference to Putin.[127] In 2017, Russian-themed poutinerie Vladimir Poutine opened in Montreal, with dishes named for political figures from Rasputin to Donald Trump.[131] In the week following the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, frequent insults and threats were received by the three Maison de la Poutine restaurants in Paris, some stating a belief that they worked for the Russian state. Another poutinerie in Lyon changed the name of its 20-year signature dish, Vladimir poutine, stating that it “was no longer funny”. In Quebec, Le Roy Jucep announced that it was retiring the word poutine in support of Ukraine and reverted to “fromage-patate-sauce” on its menus and branding.[132][133][130]

10 Likes

It has taken some time

9 Likes

“An unconfirmed report states that the Russian autocrat pooped himself on impact after falling down the stairs”

It’s still unclear in what order the events occurred.

9 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/zavrch/vladimir_putin_has_fallen_down_stairs_at_official/

Not an authoritative source

medics ‘arrived within a few minutes, but could not immediately examine the president’. This is because he is suffering ‘cancer of the gastrointestinal tract, as a result of which he already experiences serious problems with digestion’ – and the fall caused an ‘involuntary’ reaction.

14 Likes

Yeah, that could explain his appearance at several public events of late. And that ridiculous table.

13 Likes

11 Likes

I suspect a case of goatfucking here. Goading the old fool into responding because he needs to project his virility and his power at all times.

11 Likes

In recent weeks, even amid the acrimony and angry rhetoric over Russia’s war on Ukraine, U.S. and Russian diplomats had been quietly planning to reconvene the BCC, to try and restart the treaty inspections. U.S. officials had even agreed to move the meeting from Geneva to Cairo, due to Russian allegations that Switzerland’s stance on the Ukraine war meant it could not be considered neutral territory.

On the eve of the talks, however, Russia announced it wouldn’t attend, surprising the United States.

In comments reported by the newspaper Kommersant on November 29, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said that Ukraine was at the heart of the decision.

8 Likes
12 Likes