2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

10 Likes
8 Likes

It’s a start; but needs to be ramped up by orders of magnitude.

15 Likes

I agree but reconstruction in Ukraine should be primarily the job of the EU and should include robust institutions and anti corruption reforms which will enable them to join the EU.

14 Likes
12 Likes

17 Likes

saboteurs say they are striking Russia on its soil with the help of its people

Good. More of this, please, Ukraine.

10 Likes

Prisoner swap

10 Likes
10 Likes

Bennett: “I asked: ‘Are you planning to kill Zelenskiy?’ He said: ‘I won’t kill Zelenskiy.’ I then said to him: ‘I have to understand that you’re giving me your word that you won’t kill Zelenskiy.’ He said: ‘I’m not going to kill Zelenskiy.’”

Putin then added, “Zelenskiy will be free to do as he wishes. Of course, if he chooses to engage in high-risk hobbies like standing near windows or drinking tea, that’s up to him. It might be that the stress of betraying Russia would cause him to become mentally unstable, in which case we would have to see that he is admitted to a hospital where he could receive the proper care. And you can trust me because I am Vladimir Putin.”

17 Likes
14 Likes

Turkey definitely needs to have some of that slack reeled back in while Sultan Erdogan is in power. He has zero loyalty to NATO and merely uses it to further his own agenda with the rest of the West when it suits him.

8 Likes

Shameless rewriting of history?

I’m genuinely not sure if some of these fuckers are shameless, or are just plain delusional, having swallowed the ‘pills’ and lost all grip on reality. Their only reality is the one they are given by the powers behind the throne.

I would say, who do they expect to believe this bilge - but then this is the well-established Russian propaganda modus operandi - “we’re lying, you know we’re lying, and we know you know we’re lying but we do not give a fuck because it will still get reported and someone somewhere will believe it”.

11 Likes

“Back then, 80 years ago, it was in Stalingrad that we beat back the onslaught of the collective West against our country… All of Europe was on the side of fascist Germany”

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

14 Likes

France was “on Germany’s side” after being conquered, and North America and Britain don’t technically count as Europe?

I guess :confused:

11 Likes

No, this is just like how people during Cold War in the US would refuse to give the Soviets credit for their role in the war, and in fact would regularly downplay it… In some cases by entirely ignoring the eastern front of the war altogether.

14 Likes

Guardian liveblog, earlier:

Iran and Russia are looking to build a factory in Russia that could supply more than 6,000 Iranian-designed drones for the war in Ukraine, according to reports.

The Wall Street Journal says the two governments are moving ahead with plans, and that an Iranian delegation went to Russia in January to visit the planned site.

There has been controversy over Iran supplying drones, which have wreaked havoc on Ukrainian civilian areas and infrastructure since the war began.

Iran initially said it had supplied drones to Russia but that they were sent before the war broke out. However, evidence from Ukraine suggested that more and more have been supplied as the conflict continues.

Somewhere else for those Ukrainian saboteurs to focus on if it gets built.

10 Likes
12 Likes

To be complete, the Soviets were just as guilty of ignoring allies in their post-war histories, and routinely forgot that time they aligned with the Nazis over Poland.

13 Likes
10 Likes