2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

Mr. Lula will be surprised.

10 Likes
13 Likes

10 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes
14 Likes

“Ukrainian artillery shoots exceptionally accurately. More than 30 units of armored vehicles were lost. Dozens of tankmen were killed. Even more marines, special forces, and motorized riflemen died,” Girkin said. “All these losses turned out to be ‘one-sided’ — the Ukrainians shot the attackers like in a shooting gallery.”

If this is what Russian mil bloggers are admitting, it must be worse.

17 Likes

Girkin is a fascist monster and (as the article notes) a convicted war criminal, but he’s not an idiot. Despite his anti-Ukrainian bigotry, and general awfulness, he seems to keep a firm foothold in reality, and has been highly critical of Russian incompetence and corruption throughout the war.

13 Likes
13 Likes

He understands that Russia suffering a decisive loss in this war is basically his death warrant (with a high probability that the death will be a gruesome one). Another reason to hope that the screw-ups continue.

10 Likes

I’m reminded of the event during the Gulf War Part 1 (was it the Battle of Khafji) which the coalition thought was a probing attack, but turned out to be the major offensive.

I wouldn’t bet more than a :beer: on it, but I wonder if that might have been the major offensive, if Shiogu was already crowing about it on :ru: :tv: .

11 Likes

Ukrainian officials are saying exactly that.

“They are having big problems with a big offensive,” Oleksiy Danilov, the secretary of Ukraine’s National Security and Defense Council, told Ukrainian television on Saturday night.

“They have begun their offensive, they’re just not saying they have, and our troops are repelling it very powerfully. The offensive that they planned is already gradually underway. But (it is) not the offensive they were counting on,” Danilov said.

11 Likes
8 Likes

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1624890806849896450

I have spoken, off the record, to a former KGB officer and a Russian oligarch, who both maintain that Prigozhin is intentionally hyped up as a bogeyman, to be presented to Russian audiences who fantasise about regime change. The warning is clear: if Putin goes, things could be worse.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1625091474038685699

11 Likes
12 Likes

Via The Guardian:

Warehouses of agents.

13 Likes
11 Likes
14 Likes

I wonder if someone screwed up; or if a poison you can detect fast enough for it to be medically helpful is how the siloviki let you off with a warning?

10 Likes

You can run, Russian looters, but you can’t hide.

12 Likes