2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

Hamish de Bretton-Gordon, former commander of the UK’s Royal Tank Regiment, said it was “reckless” of Putin “to try and suggest Britain is sending nuclear material” to Ukraine.

He said depleted uranium is a common component of tank rounds, possibly even used by Russia.

“Putin insinuating that they are some sort of nuclear weapon is bonkers,” de Bretton-Gordon told The Associated Press. “Depleted uranium is completely inert. There is no way that you could create a nuclear reaction or a nuclear explosion with depleted uranium.”

12 Likes

He’s just giving Tucker Carlson and other America First fascists a talking point: [constipated puzzled face] “Is it really a good idea for Biden to give Ukraine radioactive materials? Why is he engaging in nuclear escalation?” The idiots who watch Faux will swallow it whole.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1638602105907818499

Article is paywalled but you can read the opening.

If the political decision was made, France could deliver a dozen fighter planes to the Ukrainian army.

15 Likes

11 Likes

I wonder if I will live to see a China that is home to polar bears.

7 Likes

We obviously wouldn’t want them burdened with the secrets of the least-zesty flavor of uranium by our hubristic imperial meddling. Best to leave them to operate the world’s 7th largest nuclear power infrastructure in prelapsarian innocence…

5 Likes
13 Likes

@teknocholer Someone should tell Garry Kasparov about tributary states.

11 Likes

I think that’s the point he is making.

14 Likes
10 Likes

“Copium” isn’t just for Twitter randos any more.

13 Likes

Xi looking at Outer Manchuria like this

11 Likes
11 Likes

“Some government officials reportedly descended into a full-blown panic in private chats after the news broke—with some wondering if they’d become the next Heinrich Himmler and Joseph Goebbels.”

13 Likes
9 Likes
14 Likes
7 Likes

Short thread:

11 Likes

For comparison, a T-54 and a Challenger II.

19 Likes
9 Likes