2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

So this attack that killed 50 ukrainian prison managed not to kill any guards?

16 Likes

From the Guardian weblog:

The Irish president, Michael D Higgins, has been urged to state unequivocal support for the Ukrainian cause and oppose Russian aggression, after his wife penned a controversial letter.

Sabina Higgins wrote to the Irish Times last week to criticise one of the newspaperā€™s editorials on the conflict.

In the letter, she said the fighting would go on until the world ā€œpersuades President Vladimir Putin of Russia and President Volodymyr Zelenskiy of Ukraine to agree to a ceasefire and negotiationsā€.

Critics have suggested she was drawing an equivalence between the actions of Ukraine and Russia.

The Fine Gael senator John McGahon called on the president to clarify whether he had been aware of the letter before it was published, or had any role in drafting it.

ā€œIf you were to read that letter youā€™d think that this is a dispute between two countries over a contested piece of land,ā€ he said. ā€œAnd I think the comments that she has made is a slap in the face to the 47,000 Ukrainian refugees who have come to this island of Ireland to seek safety and seek sanctuary.ā€

11 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes

I have to wonder what would lead to having a couple of fancy fighter pilots within artillery range of the front. Itā€™s understandable when its ground unit commanders or logistics elements: needing those dangerously close is not a good sign; but when they are that close itā€™s for a reason; but a couple of fighter pilots puttering around on the ground?

9 Likes

That sounds oddly unsubstantiated. I wonder if the HIMARS is turning into Russiaā€™s version of the face-saving acceptable foe of this war. You know, like in German anecdotes from WW2 all planes just so happen to be Spitfires.

12 Likes

I am surprised how soon after the deal was announced that this has happened. Letā€™s hope that it can continue.

Not unconnected

8 Likes

Weā€™re not going to invade Ukraine, and when we do invade Ukraine it will be somebody elseā€™s fault :face_with_spiral_eyes:

13 Likes
11 Likes

Almost like its the same people crafting these messages. How odd

16 Likes

No windows?

13 Likes

According to Pavlovsky, the increasing authoritarianism of the Putin regime, and even the invasion of Ukraine, can be traced back to the failed attempts to manage a transition.

ā€œMedvedev lost it a bit when he wasnā€™t able to keep the presidency, and I think Putin lost it a bit too when he realised there was no way to make a transition of power work. The system had no mechanisms to do it ā€¦ and itā€™s partly because of that failure of transition that we have ended up where we are today.ā€

8 Likes
11 Likes

Donā€™t try this at home.

13 Likes
13 Likes

Hey kids, remember that drone you got for xmas?..

12 Likes

We heard a lot of the first wave of refusers, but not much about the next. This article seems to shed a bit of light on what happen to professional soldiers who refuse to participate on the ā€œspecial operationā€ now.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Corbyn again. Apparently doing nothing to stop Brexit wasnā€™t enough for that nostalgia-addled old man. Now he wants the West to do nothing to stop Putinā€™s invasion.

Also, he was criticised over anti-Semitism because as leader he did nothing to discipline or kick out actual anti-Semites.

Itā€™s a shame Labourā€™s shot at moving toward a more progressive future was led by a man living half a century in the past.

11 Likes
9 Likes